Fedex International Mail Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Albie,

There is part of the equation you missed and are probably not aware of.

The bulk of our international payload is NOT FedEx P1, but rather mostly low yield from freight forwarders (which is why FedEx participates in the IATA conferencs on tarriffs and trade). I don't know the exact numbers now, but it used to be that over 90% of our payloads were the low yield stuff. Essentially, we use that to justify the trunk airplane so we can then sell our own product on the same route. UPS, incidentally, does the same thing, although they do it through selling block space to third party carriers.

The notion of international mail was that the yield is higher, so the all else remains the same but the profit is a bit higher. Could mean taking some airplanes out of the desert, though.

I do not know of the validity of the international USPS contract, I do know that if it's being discussed it's at a very high level, so flight managers would likely not be informed until it was a done deal.

Does any of this have to do with the MD-10 program that was using DC10's in Goodyear AZ to make new planes for Fedex, and its sudden curtailment?

Is there a possible sudden uptick in Fedex business on the horizon?

The MD-10 program is alive and well, no curtailment aside from choosing not to convert some basket-case hulls. Don't confuse the company choosing to use a different vendor for the conversions as a curtailment. Last I checked the program is ahead of schedule, with 15 MD-10-10s and 4 MD-10-30s flying.

Thats good news. I guess the rumors I heard were false. They somehow tied the change of vendor to a reduction in the USPS contract. I guess that is not the case. Anyway thanks for the good info.

Don't have the schedule in front of me, so can't say for sure offhand.

On the newhires, I would say that long term, yes, but short term we're getting more new airframes as well as the conversions, so no major effect on short term.

Latest resources

Back