Feathering System

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
paulsalem said:
you could go hold still the prop of a free turbine (like a king air) while the pilot started the engine and it would still start.

We had a problem with an engine on an old 1900 C model years ago. The engine was making a strange noise but you could only hear it durring the start. After that the noise from the propeller drowned it out. So we had someone start it while a mechanic held the prop. It started just fine and he was able to keep the prop from spinning. He jumped out of the way and the prop instantly spun up to speed(feathered). After watching that I decided it was something that I was never going to try. :smile:

Anyone else ever tried to take a prop out of feather with asymetrical ice on the props? Not cool. Freezing rain overnight sucks. Especially when you need to taxi to a deice pad... anyways. This thread just reminded me of it!

FlyChicaga said:
Anyone else ever tried to take a prop out of feather with asymetrical ice on the props? Not cool. Freezing rain overnight sucks. Especially when you need to taxi to a deice pad... anyways. This thread just reminded me of it!

I did that once. Shook the plane pretty good for a minute or so till it flung the ice off. Since then I would just go and break off any ice on the props before I started it to take it to the de-ice pad. Only takes a minute.

Done that. NEVER again. Always insist on removing large ice accumulations of props before firing up. Kinda a tough situation when the airport you're at has remote deice capability only.

MM

Latest resources

Back