FBO Jobs? (non pilot)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

krautfed

I just started my training, but was wondering what types of jobs are at FBO's. I know most FBO's (and my local ones) are open 24/7, and I was thinking about possibly seeking some type of part-time to basically get me to learn some of the business side of things, be around the airport more, and hopefully make some all important contacts for later on.

One specific question is, do FBO's employ non-certified mechanics for general type technical work? (de-icing, fueling, etc?)

Like I said, I am completely green to this and have never even been through an FBO other than to rent for training, which my CFI takes care of.

Krautfed,
I would look into getting a job on the line. There you will fuel, deice, take care of the pax and pilots and learn alot about the industry. I got my start doing that. Great way to get your foot in the door and meet people that may help frther your career.

Storm.

I agree. I worked at an FBO for over three years while going to college. I ended up flying a King Air on the side thanks to meeting a guy through my ramp monkey job.

You want to work at a place that has small charter aircraft based with them. Turboprops, pistons, Citation and Lears. I could get a job flying the aforementioned Citations and Lears as soon as hit 135 mins if I were so inclined. I am not inclined to live on a beeper.

You'll work your butt off being a ramp rat, but you'll definitely learn a lot about the industry. you'll also have great opportunity to make contacts and network and get a leg in the door with some of the operators you'll deal with.

I just started my training, but was wondering what types of jobs are at FBO's. I know most FBO's (and my local ones) are open 24/7, and I was thinking about possibly seeking some type of part-time to basically get me to learn some of the business side of things, be around the airport more, and hopefully make some all important contacts for later on.

One specific question is, do FBO's employ non-certified mechanics for general type technical work? (de-icing, fueling, etc?)

Like I said, I am completely green to this and have never even been through an FBO other than to rent for training, which my CFI takes care of.

I agree with all, start on the line. I started working in the FBO business twenty years ago as a line guy to pay for flying lessons. During those twenty years I would eventually manage two FBO's before I returned to flying. The knowledge gained has been very beneficial and the experience continues to help me in my current position, CP of a corporate flight department. Sometimes the best education is work experience.

Good luck!!

Latest resources

Back