Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShawnC

Skirts Will Rise
Having a pilot certificate with your photo on it is great and all, but that would mean that you would have to get a new one every few years.

Personally I like the idea of 61.3, but I don't like the fact that they skipped the normal comment period, I think that it would have been better if we knew what they were doing ahead of time, and could comment on it before the changes were made. Once a change is made its kind of hard to change it back.

Photo I.D. pilot certificates

AOPA's take on the issue is here .

It is assumed that most pilots have driver's licenses, but, I'm sure, there are some who don't drive. But, most states have a photo I.D. program.

Re: Photo I.D. pilot certificates

bobbysamd said:
It is assumed that most pilots have driver's licenses, but, I'm sure, there are some who don't drive. But, most states have a photo I.D. program.

And don't forget 61.35 requires a photo ID to take a knowledge test.

The FAA (with AOPAs assistance) issued this with the least amount of impact and hassle, as it should have been. To go throuh the logistics, hassle and funds required to resubmit an entirely new cert. would be a nightmare. Think about the time you'd have to alot to submit paperwork, pictures (remember you'd have to prove it's you in that pic.....i.e. notarize), and MORE money to the FAA. No doubt this would have a deadline on it to boot. Everything that you need to prove you are you is already in your wallet- or should be.

You might want to know that there are still a couple of states that do not require a picture DL. Usually the smaller states. Might get interesting.

Better to inconvenience a few than everybody......

Any time I'm asked for ID any more, including when going through security, I show my concealed weapon permit. Not one single time have I ever been asked if I'm carrying a weapon. Nobody even bats an eyelid.

I always carry a passport, anyway, so it's not an issue. Add that to the company ID, driver license, state ID, Blockbuster Video ID card, the Smiths grocery card, Maverick gas card, and a worn chinese fortune cooke strip with my name on it.

Now if I can just get them to stop whining because I sign them all in crayon...

Avbug,

hmmm, Smith's card, Maverick? you must live in UT, or some other western state (Idaho?)

just wondering. I enjoy your insight and wit on the board. if you do live in UT, who do you fly for? seems like I remember you being a corp guy?

just curious

UP

That depends when you catch me. It changes throughout the year.

Just for the record, security didn't accept my grocery card as proper ID, but they did give me a 10% price break on duty free items, and a dozen stamps to get a new set of china. Plus, I got the difference in cash when they forgot to circle the savings on my receipt, in red pen !:D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back