Facts on Retirements?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rajflyboy

Does anyone really know how many Retirements we will see at the Majors over the next 5 years or so?

I am reading over and over and over again about the future pilot shortage that we will have.

Is there any truth to this?

Does anyone really know how many Retirements we will see at the Majors over the next 5 years or so?

I am reading over and over and over again about the future pilot shortage that we will have.

Age 70 will alleviate any pilot shortages.

There are 2200 guys over age 60 now at Delta, and 4000 will leave within 10 years. Those 2200 guys over 60 may not stay until 65, since most are ex NWA guys with full pensions. Just 100 widebody Capts leaving would cause huge movement upwards, so think what 2200 could do?

OYS

There are 2200 guys over age 60 now at Delta, and 4000 will leave within 10 years. Those 2200 guys over 60 may not stay until 65, since most are ex NWA guys with full pensions. Just 100 widebody Capts leaving would cause huge movement upwards, so think what 2200 could do?

OYS

Good Information to have. I'm assuming the other Majors are in a similar position.

Thanks!

On 12/13/2012, UAL will retire one pilot every 17 hrs..... I have seen somewhere that the new U will retire around 4000 by 2016, so by 2014 2000, I have seen the number somewhere can't remember though...maybe my dreams....the 1 every 17 hrs is accurate though!! What ever number it is, it's not happening fast enough. Talked to a fed about 70, he says there is no way that will happen, the decrease in your cognitive skills takes off after 65, he said something like 7 x's faster than after 60, not to worry, automation will take care of the pilot shortage, i.e. UAV.

OYS

By my count there are only about 500 over 60 right now. Not sure where you got the 2200 number. The 4000 retiring in the next 10 is correct, however, those retirements are weighted significantly towards the end of that 10 year period.

By my count there are only about 500 over 60 right now. Not sure where you got the 2200 number. The 4000 retiring in the next 10 is correct, however, those retirements are weighted significantly towards the end of that 10 year period.

SD, VP of Flt Ops gave that number at a newhire dinner in November. How can you come up with only 500 over 60 right now? None of the NWA guys left for their pensions. SD said 1800 in the 60-65 zone this Spring, and 2200 by this Summer.

OYS

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back