FAA Regulation question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyHIToo

Does anyone know of any websites that you can ask the FAA a question on a regulation and get a response?

Your local FSDO can get a 'legal interpetation' of a reg. They can also search the database to see if that specific reg already has a legal interpetation on file.

Your local FSDO CANNOT provide a legal interpretation, and has no authority to interpret the regulation. The inspector at the local FSDO can look one up, but chances are that most of them aren't familiar with the legal interpretations provided by the regional and chief legal counsels, as often the comments and opinions of various inspectors are quite at odds with the various authoritative interpretations that do exist.

A better source for you to ask questions and get straight talk with references will be Doc's FAR Forum at propilot.com.

I should have been more clear. I did not mean for my previous post to indicate your local FSDO generates legal interpetations.

They will request these interpetations.

IF ya go to Faa.gov, you'll find a database with online questions and online legal interpretations. Takes a while to get an answer though if you ask a new question.

BUt perhaps you are lucky and the question has already been answered.

Also, try downloading the Part61 or Part91 faq from faa.gov, authored by John Lynch <- he's the head guy in charge of writing the regs for part61 & 91 and his interpretations are as good as they get, since he actually wrote it, he knows the true intent of the regs.

Depending on what your question is about, you may actually find a FAQ for other sections of the Regs too.

mattpilot said:
Also, try downloading the Part61 or Part91 faq from faa.gov, authored by John Lynch <- he's the head guy in charge of writing the regs for part61 & 91 and his interpretations are as good as they get, since he actually wrote it, he knows the true intent of the regs.
The FAQ has been removed from the FAA website. Some folks think its because of too many wrong answers by Lynch.

midlifeflyer said:
The FAQ has been removed from the FAA website. Some folks think its because of too many wrong answers by Lynch.

hmm... wierd.

Well i got a copy of the 61 faq. If ya want it, PM me with your e-mail addy.

ultrarunner said:
There's a shocker!

No, not a shocker, merely long overdue.

John Lynch's "FAQ" was worse than useless.

It was useless as it had absolutely no official standing, so in light of that it was meaningless. It was worse than useless, because his answers on occasion were incorrect.

The *only* positive aspect of his "FAQ" was that in some of his answers, he quoted actual FAA counsel interpretations, so that it served as a means of dissemination for those official opinions.

Latest resources

Back