Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IronManNDFW

Condo Jet Captain
Productivity Workshops reinstituted, and then cancelled!

Fellow Pilots,

Management recently renewed their effort to spread fear and uncertainty throughout our pilot group by reinstituting their thoroughly discredited ''productivity workshops'' program. (See the previous MEC Weekly Announcements on this subject dated 6/8, 6/22 and 6/30/07.) However, after several abortive attempts at a re-light, they were forced to call off their most recent effort. They sent emails informing those pilots they had already “invited” to Cleveland to inform them that their CGF-1 Arrivals were postponed “until further notice.” As it turned out, this wholesale cancellation was due to the fact that certain members of management, who were so enthusiastically behind this ludicrous program, did not have all their ducks in a row. As was uncovered by your Union’s Stewards, these managers were relying on “productivity” data that turned out to be so erroneous that even their bosses could not ignore it.

I wonder who among the management group will be disciplined or otherwise harassed (including possible termination) for being so incompetent. Perhaps they need to attend “workshops” of their own. But I keep forgetting, responses of that nature related to allegations of poor performance seem to be reserved only for pilots. I also wonder who among the management group will send out the apologies that are owed to those pilots falsely and unsupportively accused in what has turned out to be nothing more than an Orwellian Witch Hunt. I don’t advise you to hold your breath waiting for management to publicly admit they have screwed-up, yet again.

Instead of doing what is right and honorable, I anticipate that after some recalibrating, hand rubbing and scheming, management will restart their “productivity” inquisitions anew. This kind of institutional intimidation has become the hallmark of the current management team. I know our pilot group will long remember management’s reprehensible actions and I am reminded of Thomas Jefferson’s words when speaking of the British: “The seeds of hatred and revenge which they sow with a large hand will not fail to produce their fruits in time.” History teaches that the pilots will eventually reap a bountiful harvest from the seeds of discontent sown by management at Flight Options.

Those members of management who have perpetrated and participated in this farce might want to consider that the aviation community in general is relatively small. Word travels throughout this community considerably faster than our jets. In particular, one PM seems to relish and enjoy too much, the position of power he currently occupies over pilots. He should be mindful that tales of his conduct trickle out of the “workshops” and disciplinary meetings he presides over. Within mere minutes, word of his comments, behavior and the positions he advances begin to spread.

Stories of how badly pilots are treated at Flight Options quickly travel far and wide beyond the walls of the management’s fortress at CGF, carried aloft by crewmembers who have left the company for greener pastures, as well as by active pilots who are sticking it out until we get a contract that puts an end to management abuses. Knowledge of what is terribly wrong at this company is rapidly spreading beyond the confines of management’s interrogation rooms and the pilots that work here. I wonder if all the PMs, APMs, PSMs, etc., want the demonstrable ineptitude associated with these farcical “workshops” and management’s other ill-conceived programs to define their reputations in the fractional industry, not to mention the larger aviation community?

Management has commented at past “workshops,” disciplinary meetings and in other conversations with your Union representatives that they acknowledge pilots must comply with the FARs, SOPs and GOM. Managers have stated on multiple occasions that they fully expect pilots to write up aircraft where and when they break; they have stated that it is not acceptable for pilots to carry or ignore write-ups just to get a shot at the bonus de-jour; they do not want pilots to fly with legitimate illnesses; they do not want pilots to fly without proper nourishment; and they do not want pilots to fly without proper rest. Perhaps management spoke these fine words only because they could not say what was really on their minds in the presence of your Union representatives.

Given the ease with which your Union’s Stewards demonstrated how much of a charade was the previous round of “productivity workshops,” management’s dogged pursuit of this transparent program leads to the obvious conclusion that they still intend to utilize the threat of being confronted by management at compulsory meetings in Cleveland to intimidate pilots and give them pause when complying with their FAA mandated obligations. It smacks of “pilot pushing” no matter how it is packaged.

As you probably know by now, your Union's attorneys have sent a letter to the FAA in Washington, DC requesting that they open an investigation into pilot pushing by Flight Options’ management. We now know the FAA has assigned personnel to catalogue the many complaints they are receiving from our pilots over the FAA’s anonymous tip line. You can assist the FAA by raising any valid concerns you may have by calling this anonymous tip line at (800) 255-1111. This is but another tool available to you, in addition to the more formal ASAP reports, to assist in putting a stop to some of the questionable management practices at this company.

I want to remind each of you about some of the things we have stressed repeatedly in the past to help you protect your safety and job security—but this time with a slightly different twist. Even though there is reason to doubt management’s sincerity, I recommend we take their comments about expecting full compliance with the rules and regulations at face value. In your day-to-day operations at work, do what management wants you to do and has clearly communicated to your Union: Comply with all FARs, SOPs and the procedures outlined in the GOM with the most exacting detail and professionalism; take the time to complete a proper and thorough pre- and post-flight inspection; follow stated company policy of writing up the aircraft where and when it breaks or a discrepancy is discovered; do not fly without proper nourishment or rest; complete all checklists; etc. Simply put, do not do anything illegal or unsafe, either for or against the company.

Continue to demonstrate to management that their preferred practice of using fear as a motivational tool will not cause you to abandon your professionalism, or make you afraid to do your job as the FARs require.

Its comming. The Feds have 2 full time people working on FLOPS stuff (telephone calls from pilots), one lady is very nice.....

Last edited:
And the next time they abuse their MDL authority...

Call Washington DC on the Hotline! 800-255-1111

If you look up the MDL authority in the General Maintenance Manual, you will see you are not authorized to MDL items related to "Aircraft Systems"

MDLs are suppose to be primarily for items that are cosmetic in nature. But our Management has been using it to be the catch all, for items they wish defer, but are not deferable according to the MEL.

Our POI (Rochester FISDO) had given our Director of Maintenance and Director of Quality Control cart blanche to determine what is MDLable and what is not. Do not fight the company on this front, you will lose.

Instead, do an end around, and let the FEDs in DC know what is going on here. Let them know that our Management is abusing their authority to in essense, pick and choose what is deferrable and what is not, as if they were their own self regulating FAA.

The next time management tells you to MDL an item that can be considered a part of an aircraft system, do it, submit an ASAP report, but most importantly, let the Investigators in Washington DC, who are not under the financial budgetary influences of our FISDO, let them know what is going on here at Flight Options.

Remember, Flight Options headquarters is located in Cleveland Ohio. There is a FISDO there. And they have wanted us under their authority for years. But Options exploits a legal loophole to keep our Air Carrier Certificate under the Rochester, NY FISDO. And of course, the Rochester FISDO does all it can to keep a chummy relationship with Flight Options Management, because since Flight Options is the 2nd largest Part 135 operator in the country, that fact can be used by the Rochester FISDO's management when it comes down to budgetary allocations from Washington.

Just like everything else in life: Follow the Money!

Freedom is not Free.

Last edited:
just write it up regardless of that......the PIC has the final say if the plane is safe to fly....i remember reading that somewhere....

Since we do not yet have a Contract...

and therefore, No Grevence procedure yet in place, Flight Options uses the threat, and often follows through with the threat, of negatively affecting your job status, trashing your personnel file (which follows you around for 5 years minimum under the Pilot Records Improvement Act), and/or actually Firing Pilots for exercising their FAA delegated authority under their Airman's Certificates.

This happens at Flight Options on a weekly basis, and since until we have a Contract we are still all "At Will employees," there is little the Union can do to protect the individual Pilot until we have a Contract, other than have a Steward in the disciplinary meeting with you.

For all you young aspiring Pilots out there thinking about coming to work at Flight Options, consider this. Our Pilots care about eachother. In fact, we have such an Integrity filled Pilot group that many of us have come to this website, at the risk of losing our own employment, to warn potential New Hires to stay away for your own good.

Flight Options didn't always look this way. In fact, at one time, we were the preferred employer in the Fractional Industry, even ahead of Netjets. It was because our management took excellent care of us.

But now, ever since our USAIRWAYS Metro Jet Failure of a CEO took over, and hired his Hitman VP of Flight Operations, a former Eastern Scab, in an attempt to break the Will of the Pilot group, we have become the laughing stock of the industry.

So you might ask, why am I still here? The answer is simple, I am looking and the first good career move that comes along (not just a job), I am gone.

Do yourself a favor if you are young and hungry. Suck it up for a year at a Jet Regional, upgrade to Captain and build some 121 Jet PIC time, and then move on to the big boys or go to Netjets.

Freedom is not Free.

Last edited:
so your saying if the airplane has hard break they tell you to go fly?.......

tell them to put that in writing.....i bet your going to the hotel after that......Union or not....you cant let them give you that kinda ********************......Union aint gonna do you any good there......

In the end I have faith that the Pilot Group and 1108 will prevail. Hopefully sooner then later.

Buckeye

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back