• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Extended leave at the regionals

Anyone know if regionals like Commutair and Xpressjet allow for extended leaves of absence (1 yr)? Do you hold your seniority # while away?

Last edited:
For most I would think it depends on the reason. Military service is probably the only thing that will get you that much time away.

Any airline is required to give you a leave of absense for military duty. They don't have to pay you (and they won't) but you will retain your seniority.

Any airline is required to give you a leave of absense for any condition covered by the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). They don't have to pay you (and they won't) but you will retain your seniority.

You joinin' the army or havin' a baby?

QP

Nope, but I was hoping to do some missionary flying and was wondering if a regional would cut me loose for about 1-2 years (withoutpay of course) and allow me to come back at the same seniority number.

Steve,

Good for you for wanting to do some missionary flying!

I think it's good that you are researching this issue before you approach your boss and ask for a leave of absence. From friends I know, some bosses may react very bitterly when asked for a LOA, even if it's something like missionary work. Before you approach your boss, I'd just be absolutely certain that he/she is not going to fire you for asking to do something like this.

Good luck.

Ygbsm

So let me get this strait. You want to get hired and then leave, go do what ever (regardless of how noble) and then come back to your seniority number when you decide to return. YEA RIGHT!!!! I should have thought of that. Then I would not have had to work as an FO under 1st year pay!

Go test yourself physically and spiritually then reapply at the regionals. I am sure there will be hiring when you are done.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back