ExpressJet now the largest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rank&File

HOUSTON – ExpressJet (NYSE: XJT – News), dba Continental Express has earned bragging rights as the World’s largest regional air carrier. With the June performance stats out, the airline has surpassed its closest rival, American Eagle (NYSE: AMR – News) in both Available Seat Miles (ASMs) and Revenue Passenger Miles (RPMs), figures used by the industry when reporting traffic and capacity.

ExpressJet reported in June that it flew 538.9 million RPMs with 733.7 million ASMs versus American Eagle’s 426 million RPMs on 624.8 million ASMs. ExpressJet’s capacity increased 44.2% from June 2002 while American Eagle’s rose 18.1% year-over-year.

The Houston, TX based regional airline has grown by leaps and bounds as it accepted on average one new Embraer (NYSE: ERJ - News; Bovespa: EMBR3 EMBR4) jet per week over the past year. Their all-jet fleet now consists of 212 of the Brazilian-made aircraft. By year-end 2006, the fleet will have grown to 274 airframes with options to acquire 100 more. ExpressJet’s route structure spans from coast to coast from Continental’s three domestic hubs in Houston, Newark, and Cleveland. Nearly 100 cities in the U.S. are served by ExpressJet as well as 16 destinations in Mexico, five in Canada, and the Bahamas.

Since Sept. 11th, 2001, commuter carriers such as ExpressJet have been used extensively to replace large jet service and introduce new routes that help bring much needed revenue to their crippled mainline partners. Continental has even chosen to deploy regional jets on some of its longer routes such as Newark to Oklahoma City, a 1,324 mile trip that takes about four hours. ………………

I hate it when the press refers to our airlines as "commuters." Since when do you take a "commuter" flight on a 1,300 mile, four hour trip 3/4 of the way across the U.S? The word "regional" barely even fits the scope of most of the jet operators out there. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, this stuff just pisses me off.

I hate it when the press refers to our airlines as "commuters." Since when do you take a "commuter" flight on a 1,300 mile, four hour trip 3/4 of the way across the U.S? The word "regional" barely even fits the scope of most of the jet operators out there. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, this stuff just pisses me off.

It pisses passengers off as well. Four hours in a small RJ with no meal is not fun. Even more than an hour and a half is too long for most.

NEDude said:
It pisses passengers off as well. Four hours in a small RJ with no meal is not fun. Even more than an hour and a half is too long for most.

The only thing that makes it bearable is that a lot of fights are catered with either sandwiches or some sort of a meal during breakfast, lunch, or dinner time.

CaptJim is right, any flight on Express Jet that is longer than 1:45, that is during the hours of breakfast, lunch or dinner, is catered with either bagels, muffins, or sandwiches. Although **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** is it cramned in there for anyting longer then 2:30 hours.

Very misleading. The DCI group is the largest regional IF you include all the various operators who fly as Delta Connection.:D

Who cares what type of plane.......

Unless your in frist class, bizz class or coach with the row to yourself, any aircraft from J31 to 747 is uncomfortable after 1.5 to 2 hours.

I'd rather ride a 1900 (got your own seat window and isle) for 4 hours than sit on a full 767 for 2 or 3 hours jammed in the middle seat.

About the meals... O no somebody has to go 4 hours without eating.... the horror.....the pain....the suffering.... whatever.

Out of curiosity, what is the longest blocked flight in an RJ?

I'm a fat fu@k, and I would rather sit in a 1900D than an RJ. Neither the ERJ or CRJs are comfortable. Hell, I would rather sit in the middle seat of any larger jet (and I have many times commuting from the west coast to the east coast) than be in an RJ for more than an hour.

chperplt said:
Out of curiosity, what is the longest blocked flight in an RJ?

I'm a fat fu@k, and I would rather sit in a 1900D than an RJ. Neither the ERJ or CRJs are comfortable. Hell, I would rather sit in the middle seat of any larger jet (and I have many times commuting from the west coast to the east coast) than be in an RJ for more than an hour.

Tomorrow I do IAH to PSP which is blocked at 3:19. The next day is EWR to OKC at 3:33. Throw a monkey wrench into it and a$$ to seat time can quickly be over 4 hours.

The longest I've heard of is on ASA (All on the CRJ-700)

DFW-OAK 4:00

Some other long ones:

DCA-DFW 3:30
DFW-ONT 3:20

Latest resources

Back