Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
I think this is aviation related since the price of oil directly affects the ability of our employers to make a profit.

We've been seeing quite a run up of oil prices as we are all aware. I was noticing the trend in the Canadian to U.S. dollar exchange rate and it got me thinking. The U.S. dollar has been steadily getting weaker for about two years when compared to Euros, Pounds, Canadian dollars, Yen, Marks, etc (but not the peso). In fact our currency has fallen over 20% in the last two years. That's right if you had exchanged $1000 worth of greenbacks for Canadian Currency two years ago, it would be worth $1300 U.S. today. Oil is a global commodity, meaning that it's price is reflected by the demand of world markets as opposed to just our own. Are other nations seeing a similar run up of oil prices. Yes, but not nearly as much. Here's an article from August about this: http://www.smartmoney.com/aheadofthecurve/index.cfm?story=20040813

Here's a graph of the Dollar vs. the Euro for the last two years: http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/m5?s=USD&t=EUR&a=1&c=2

I find it interesting that the trickle down effects of our monetary policy and the health of our currency can have such a direct impact on the livelihoods of pilots. I'm also scratching my head why the plummeting Dollar was never mentioned in the recent campaign. Sure its good for exporters like Boeing, but not so good when your nation is running a trade deficit and finds the Dollars it ships overseas bringing in fewer goods. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back