Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Expat preparation (career path question)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boris Badenov

I'm looking at becoming an expat sometime in the next few years, as I don't see the economic situation in the states getting any less dire for a long time.

I'm totally under- or at least mis-qualified right now, and I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on how best to prepare myself to be marketable. 4000TT/1000TPIC, but no types, no crew time, no glass time, no experience out of the US, not even any kingair time (all mu-2). Where to begin? A type rating is pretty much a necessity, it seems, for even the barest of overseas jobs. Which ones are most competitive? I've never really flown anything but cargo, but from what I can see, airline schedules appeal more to me than corporate...but I can certainly be swayed if a corporate type would be more useful.

I'm sure you can predict the other questions that would go along with these, so I'll just say any response is appreciated.

You may have to take one of those crappy RJ jobs in China to get your time.

It's ugly here and filling up fast over there...TC

Yeah, I think you need an SIC type even for the crappy China jobs. Ah well, dig in, ride it out, hope I don't lose my job, I suppose.

expatville

What you need is the proverbial "lucky Break" mate. They do not come very often, but they are out there, and you just have to go. I answered a job ad in 1984 for a King Air pilot based from Singapore printed in the classifieds in the LA Times. I had less time than you and similar multi, PIC Time. It was that "lucky Break" that is so far away sometimes. Lead to 2 Boeing type ratings, lots of International Experience, both in aviation and cultural exchanges, and a considerable amount of marketable time for future job positions, which included another three type ratings, that are still giving me good corporate employment today.
If you really want it, Hang in there, do not give up, and do not let anybody talk you out of it, including yourself.

Cheers and Good Luck.:)

Latest resources

Back