• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Everything is Coming Together for Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you kept the 90+ seaters at Mainline and limited the Regionals to 89 seats or less (certified max configuration, not 90 reduced to 86 with a Business Class like NWA and then DAL pulled),

How's that "pulling" anything? I get the a/c weight for pay issue, but the bottom line is 77+ seats are at ML.

How's that "pulling" anything? I get the a/c weight for pay issue, but the bottom line is 77+ seats are at ML.
I'm talking about what they did in the past.

At NWA there was previously a cap that mainline flew anything 90 seats and up. So the regionals put 86 seats in a 90-seat aircraft and flew them around, thus doing an end-run around the INTENT of the Scope language.

That's why future scope should be written with the aircraft's MAX CERTIFICATED passenger seating configuration in mind, and it has at many carriers now.

General- Do u think Delta will hire in 2013 in spite of what was said about no hiring in 2013?

He is right, I don't really know. I doubt it, but there could be a chance for some flow ups at the end if the year I guess. I heard we were about 400 pilots fat right now, but that will change when 14 MD90s come next year, plus 717s start coming in AUG. The new 739s will also come in Aug, and they will make people go to training if they are being displaced off of 757s or 320s they are replacing. So, by Summer I think we won't be fat on pilots like we are now, and by the end of the year they may be ready to hire or continue the flow up. Once it does start, it won't stop, but it has to start first....

Bye Bye---General Lee

That kind of mentality is a large indicator of what is wrong with Corporate America and why the middle class will continue to get squeezed until there's nothing left of this Country but MBA's and bean counters at the top and entitlement people at the bottom.

That approach simply isn't sustainable in the long term. Make take a few more decades for people to figure out, but you can see it clearly from where people's standard of living was 30 years ago and where it is now in the U.S.

What did you have in mind?

Not debating rights or wrongs of Corporate America, but realize the reality and what is used against you, and guard yourself against it.

There is no reason to have such huge disparities in compensation (read: expenses) for doing the same job. In other words, the captain pay should be X, the FO pay should be some high percentage of X... PERIOD.

This whole 'rewarding' loyalty through longevity based pay is b.s. because you're opening yourself up to "why pay more when..." line of questions, and in turn you'll always be dragged down by your lowest paid pilot. In PCL case, why pay a 12 year captain when you have 3 year captain at GoJet.

Realize that the concept of 'putting in 30+ year at our companies and retire from there' is just no longer there. Give yourself the ability to vote with your feet. Right now, it's limited to business jet pilots and overseas airline pilots.

Now, I realize this change can't/won't happen overnight. ALPA has to wake up to new realities affecting your 21st century airline pilots and adapt to them. The concepts from 1972 and 2012 are worlds apart, yet ALPA is still stuck in 1972. What's worse, they're resistant to change, and in the end, it's hurting the pilots.

Latest resources

Back