ERJ & Telex 5x5 Headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotRon

Has anyone tried the Telex 5x5 headset on the ERJ? I understand that it handles the noisy cockpit well. But before I run out and buy a set, I thought i would ask around.

Any feedback?

I know a lot of people who use them. They have them either set up with filters or an external volume control that you can buy at Radio Shack. If you do buy them make sure the you talk to someone who knows how to set them up and also make sure you turn the gain down on the mic. I use the Telex 750’s with earplugs. I got them new on ebay for $100, and they work great. All I had to do was turn down the gain on the mic.

I use them and they are great. I had ear molds done for both ears and would recommend you not get the hole in them. I have heard from different people who had theirs done with the hole to equal out the pressure, but it lets in a lot of the cockpit noise. I have not had any problems with equaling out the pressure. It is alot better than wearing the dc for 3 hour flights. Just carry a small screwdriver to adjust the gain on the mic and you will do fine.

I'll agree with Skyward the Telex 750's with earplugs works extremely well and it cuts down the altitude chime. You do need to practice with the side tone knob (always turn full counter-clockwise) and adjust the headseat volume/interphone/comm volume. It take a little time to figure it all out but it blows away carrying and wearing the D.C.'s

Also the 145/140's are less quieter than the 135's. Also the higher you go the less wind noise is heard. (ie 37000ft)

One final plug is that you make sure you keep the little mike foam cover on the Telex 750 or your partner will be bothered by your background noise.

I figured NOT hearing her (or him?!) from the back bitching and complaining was one of the perks of the system. I am sure glad they have their own temperature selector!

Re: Telex Headset.

I'm not Commuter/ Regional Pilot but i fly a Corporate Dash8-300 and the only Dash8 400 in the US, and a B737 NG (Corporate).
Anyway i have used both the Telex ANR 500 and also the Plantronics tso120.( single ear piece with voice tube) anyway.
As far as noise cancelling the Telex ANR 500 beat the competition hands down! it also weights 4.5 oz. and its only about 420-500Buck depending on where you purchase it. How ever it fits alittle tight (kinda like the Dave Clark) but far superior.

Skyward said:
I've never had a problem hearing the FA, did you have you interphone turned up?

Yes, That was the weird thing.... It was cranked up and I couldn't hear them....

What I think the problem is one of two things... One the handset is really cheap and doesn't have a good microphone in the handset. Or second the F/A do not talk close enough to the mic to make an intelligable conversation. (I don't blame tell since I wouldn't put my mouth anywhere near that receiver!) Anyway the Telex is a welcome change to the David Clarks which I still hold in very high regards but not in the jungle jet operations.

Latest resources

Back