Employer Contact Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jergar999

.I am getting close to the minimums for a company I would love to work for. I have looked over the application online, began studying, etc. I am wondering about the "may we contact your present employer" question. I currently work for a great company and like my job, and don't want to jeopardize that in the event I would not be hired. A move would be solely for the growth potential, as the company I work for rarely has upgrade opportunities (one of the captains I fly with has been here for 16 years). I have been working two jobs almost full time to pay off all of my debts and build up savings for the first year pay. Any input is appreciated. I don't want this company to think there is something I don't want them to hear from my current employer, nor do I want to lose my current job.

Contacting the 'Current Employer'

IMHO, any prospective employer worth working for will understand when you indicate, on your application, "No" it is not okay to contact my current employer at this time.

Every good employer understands that employees will always keep their options open by scanning the marketplace. The best way to keep employees is to give them incentives to stay (e.g. good pay, benefits, exciting equipment, etc.) Otherwise, the employer has to expect that employees may be looking.

On the other hand, you don't want to advertise that you're looking -- there may be penalties associated with your current employer finding out. For example, your current employer may decide not to reward you with an upgrade or a raise if they realize you have 'one foot out the door.' Or worse, they may decide that you should be the first to furlough if there is a slowdown at work (assuming, as I am, that you are currently not at a union shop.)

Prospective employers understand, for these and other reasons, that applicants may not want to advertise that they are looking for other work. And during your interview, just be honest: "I have a good relationship with my current employer but your position offers me the career position I am looking for; if you agree that I'm the best fit for this job, I will let my current employer know that you will be contacting them." Or something like that.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back