EMJ Radar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetexas

Any of you guys that fly the brasilia jet have troubles with the radar? I have had several cases where I am visually looking at a cell that tops out wayyyy up there and the radar shows it as green, or 'shaded' green and you know it would'nt be safe to fly into. Gain or tilt is not the issue. It just won't show up.
It does seem to work 'ok' in the 50 mile range. That's not a whole lot of time to plan though. I have had instances where the radar shows basically nothing and then...wham, heavy rain, moderate turbulence and THEN the radar starts painting.
I just don't trust it. Neither do most guys I talk to in my company. The company seems to think since we're a bunch of turboprop guys now up at 370, we aren't setting the tilt correctly. That's bull.

You should have your company get in touch with Expressjet & Eagle. Both airlines did studies/research on the radar system due to pilot complaints. I won't bore you with the details...but basically the system is good but very intolerant of defects in the radome.

Poorly repaired/re-painted radomes start to reflect and attenuate the signal and if you get any precip at all on the radome you might as well turn the thing off. Metallic paint on the radome isn't a good idea either, but I think I could have figured that one out!

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back