EMB-145s with winglets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rank&File

I've noticed some Continental Express EMB-145s have winglets, strakes, and some type of fin on the bottom between the wings. What is all of that stuff and why have I only seen them on the COEX 145s? Is it some type of mod that makes it burn less gas?

Click here to see one.

EMB-145XR I think it is. More proof that the Regional Jet is no longer "regional."

yup.. 145XR. super duper long range.
it's simply a 145 with a third fuel tank, and all the winglets and stuff. the third fuel tank is in the belly, hence that big belly fin.

The third fuel tank is actually behind the trailing edge of the wing, under seats row 16-18. That thing under the belly is a fairing to cover a skid plate to protect the fuel tank in case of a wheels up landing. The belly tank holds in the neighborhood of 1800 lbs. The fuel in the ventral tank transfers to the two wing tanks.

The winglets increase the effeciency of the wings, so it takes less power to achieve the same lift, increasing the range (to put it mildly). The strakes help dampen out any dutch roll tendancy from the winglets.

There are also some fairings on the flaps to close the gaps between the flap segments and the wing boxes.

The XR's have a different engine also, AE3007A1E, a higher thrust rating.

Of course there is also a gross weight increase.

Dave
ExpressJet MX
TYS

XR is a nice bird all around. I think after about 500+ airframes Embraer finally got it right. It can climb at a good clip all the way up to the mid 30's and we're getting the final mods done on it to get .80 M out of the d*mn thing. The center fuel tank has been a pain in the arse from time to time especially with refueling, but all around I'd much rather take a three leg day in the XR over a 6 leg ER pairing. Windows are still pretty quite, so alot of guys lose the headsets up at cruise. You almost feel like a real airline pilot for a second, then you remember your pay check!

The re-fueling problems are mostly associated with improper refuelling proceedures by the re-fueler. If the fueler would pressurize his hose to the required pressure before he opens the fuel valve, the chances that the ventral tank to accept the fuel are greater. All it takes is a litle education and follow the correct proceedures.

Dave

erj-145mech said:
The third fuel tank is actually behind the trailing edge of the wing, under seats row 16-18. That thing under the belly is a fairing to cover a skid plate to protect the fuel tank in case of a wheels up landing.

Dave, anything underneath the seats is "belly" to me!
;)

Latest resources

Back