Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bafanguy said:
Where is Kathy ?

(crawling out from under the hundreds of boxes from moving - here I am! :D )

The best way to apply via email depends on how the employer wants the resume.

If the ad says send it in Word, then send it that way. As someone pointed out though, if the employer has an older version of Word, the resume may not even be able to be opened. With that said, most employers have newer versions of Word, and you can safely send it in that format.

If you want to be really safe, you can also send it .pdf. I have heard that some employers hate .pdf files - why I do not know, as a virus cannot be passed (from what I understand) through a .pdf file. Further, you can send it in Word AND a .pdf file and the employer can choose which one to open.

As for a plain text resume, that is best used if either the employer is asking for the resume to be embedded in an email or if you are applying to an online application system. While it may be boring and look strange, it is best used in an online app as it has no bold, underlining, tabs, etc., to confuse the system.

If you try to stick a Word document into an online app or embed it in an email, it will completely screw up the formatting and make it look worse than any plain text resume ever would. Email and online applications follow a pretty standard 65 character per line format, so even if it looks weird to you once you convert it, do not try to "reformat" your resume. Trust me, it will look fine once it gets to the employer.

If you want to test out the text theory, convert the resume and then send it to yourself or to a friend. You will see what I am talking about! :cool:

Kathy

Latest resources

Back