• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eliminate age 60 rule petition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Believe it, it isn't personal. I will never work 121, and I'm fine with it. It's a different issue, having to do with illegal discrimination, a hot topic in America today.

>>I cannot see how this rule is going to change since I cannot see how the majority of people against it can attempt to "justify" why we need to change this- "If it ain't broke then don't attempt to fix it"....... I truly feel that once again this rule may be "challenged" but in the end the same result as the previous time (s) will prevail-

The fact that advances in medicine have made a physiological support for this argument of denying the rasing of the maximum age moot. The fact is that employers are prevented from discriminating against people on the basis of age.

In 1965, there was good reason to have a 60 year cutoff. Medical standards for the airlines were lower, and being 60 years old was, for want of a better term, old. Now, a human of sixty is just as sharp and vital a person as a forty year old was in 1965. When you reach age 60 in say, 2035, you may posess the faculties of a thirty year old. In addition, it will be uncommon for people to retire at such a "young" age by then, and social security payments may not start until age 70 as the boomer generation drains the coffers of social security. Your FICA payment will likely swell to over 40% to 50% of your wages unless the retirement age is raised.

So, if you are certain that you will be able to get a non-121 job at age 60, then be my guest. You will have a LOT of competition, and you will have to look back on the fact that you failed to support this legislation thirty years earlier, when you had the chance. Your friends will still enjoy the personal satisfaction of remaining useful and wise in their jobs, and you won't be able to enjoy the kind of flying you love.

Plan ahead.

Time- As I stated in previous posts this is not as much an "age" issue as it is regarding other pilots "attempting" to advance in their career aspirations and goals which I believe is the bottom line and should this rule be changed it is going to hurt many many pilots and will definately have negative results... There has to be a cut off at some point and I don't feel that the "physiological" angle is going to change how people feel regarding this issue- Once again I can go hand pick atleast 10 people who are in their 80's and probably could pass a 1st class medical tomm. morning with their eyes closed.( we have one pilot who is in his 70's and he has no "want" to hang it up)- what does this imply-?? YES pilots definately can and are very capable and are "sharp" in their older years...........

Lets weigh the ramifications other than "assuming" we are "discriminating"- How many 320lb flight attendants do u see running up and down the isles??- Well isn't this "discrimination"?
23 for the ATP??- Isn't this along the same lines?- Can you see a "trend"...........- I could name many many more "hot" topics in which we can "claim" discrimination- - -

C H E E R S

3 5 0

Please, please stop with the age 60 crap! Plan for your future & get a life. Anyone who actually wants to fly 121 ops past age 60 should have their medical pulled for insanity. Flame away & as my good friend, Judge Mills Lane, would say..."Lets get it on!!

SaabStory said:
Please, please stop with the age 60 crap! Plan for your future & get a life. Anyone who actually wants to fly 121 ops past age 60 should have their medical pulled for insanity. Flame away & as my good friend, Judge Mills Lane, would say..."Lets get it on!!

I would argue with you, however I complety agree with you!

After I am sixty I just want to drive a hotel van to the airport and flirt with the FA's. I told my wife she can drive second shift and flirt with the freight dog pilots, then we will compare notes on the third shift. Sounds like a life.

The reason I am talking about physiology is because that was the basis of the original rule. Certainly it may impact a lot of people if the rule is lifted, but then we would have to introduce another new rule, the Fairness to Younger Pilots Rule, etc, etc., and that isn't what this question is about.

>>Lets weigh the ramifications other than "assuming" we are "discriminating"- How many 320lb flight attendants do u see running up and down the isles??- Well isn't this "discrimination"?

Well, can 320 lb attendants meet the requirements? I doubt it. Can they shimmy through an emergency exit? Just like police requirements, many rules exist for a good reason, like the age 60 rule did back in 1965. Philadelphia now has a whole lot of female police officers who couldn't chase a blind man with a broken leg, but the rules were changed in the interst of "fairness" to these applicants, never mind their inability to catch a running criminal. I'd like to serve in the Air Force reserve, but I am over 37. The military now argues that I cannot stay in long enough to complete the service years required for me to be eligible for a government pension before reaching age 65. You see, it is always legal for the government to discriminate, unless an aurgument can be made to prove that it is without merit.

In this case, science has changed enough to provide a totally different environment from the time that the regulation was enacted, and the original reasons for the rule no longer exist. Like it or not, this will be hard to resist. The AARP is one of the most powerful and vocal lobbying groups, and they have all day to fight battles like this.

Will a whole lot of pilots still retire at age 60? You bet. More than enough to make room for all of you. Wouldn't you like to be able to make that choice yourselves, without being forced out?

I know that I would.

Timebuilder said:
Will a whole lot of pilots still retire at age 60? You bet. More than enough to make room for all of you. Wouldn't you like to be able to make that choice yourselves, without being forced out?

I know that I would.

There is so much more to it than making room for the "young guys". The potential contract ramifications are limitless. I understand that not all companies have a great retirement, but come on. It's much more complicated than saying "I should be able to work for as long as I want"

Latest resources

Back