• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Aspiring to be

What we need
Unregistered User
(2/26/03 11:12:20 am)
is some input from NJA pilots

If it were possible to get some information from pilots on the other side of the fence as to identify some areas that the union has helped/hindered their operation, maybe some of the fence sitters here would get a clearer picture as to what we can expect.

It doesn't help to see post after post of bashing. The anti-IBTs post regarding non-aviation issues (specifically for fractionals) related IBT information and the pro-IBTs post about the wrong doing by the company, non-aviation/fractional related info too. What is needed now is specific information. A majority of the pilots have little experience forming, developing, or working within a "pilot" union, a IBT pilot union on top of that. Which is why having input from people actually within the NJA operation would be beneficial...if allowed.

Until we start putting a positive foot forward, gaining good information, it will take precious time, that we are running out of, just get this issue to the forefront and bring it to a vote.

http://pub97.ezboard.com/brtapilots

Please look under Pro Union and add your honest comments.
Thanks

Aspiring,
If I am reading your post correctly. There are two questions being asked. First; How is the IBT? Second; How are unions in general?

I have worked at NJA 6+ years, so I guess, I am on the inside looking out.
Let me first define what a union means for me, and my family.

Simply, predictability.

I have defined work rules, pay scales, and benefits package. These are negotiated for, and voted on, by the body of pilots. This is a contract.
The contract, is a contract, like many contracts. Each has pluses and minuses . Take a mortgage on a house. You initially negotiate a contract ,with the bank, based on current market conditions. That doesn't mean you have to live with the original terms, if you can negotiate better terms later. The market will decide.
The union is my voice that negotiates, with the company, the best rates the market will pay. These terms are ammendable after a defined time. Which is currently taking place at NJA.

The question of the IBT at NJA.
The union is only as strong as the pilot force is willing to support the union. The pilots have to give time, and money for the union to be an effective voice for the pilot group.
Does NJA have that ?
Yes. We do.
Do we have perfect harmony?
What democracy does.
Do we have heated debates?
YES!
Is that bad?
No. New ideas are born from this.

These answers may appear simple. In my opinion (pleases key in on this "my opinon"), they are simple. The union is the voice that represents me in the sale of my services.

In closing, a union will not fit all people. I have worked for both union, and none union. I prefer the predictability of a contract. I promise there will be frustration with or without a union. Thats the nature of this industry.

Best wishes to all.

QUOTE]Told ya he was a disgruntled pilot or IBT thug. [/QUOTE]

So what are you saying 450. If you are represented by the Teamsters you are a THUG. Well here is a list of those who are represented by the Teamsters Airline Division. Some of the following companies employ friends of mine and they are hardly thugs.

Flight Attendants
Air Canada (Regional)
Champion Air
Comair
NetJets
Northwest Airlines
Reeve Aleution
Sun Country
United Express (Great Lakes)
U.S. Airways (Chautauqua)
World Airways

Pilots

Airborne Express
Air Transport International (ATI)
Arrow Air
Challenge Air
Custom Air Transport
Express One
Grand Air Express
Great Lakes Aviation
Gulfstream International
Horizon Air
Kalitta Air
KittyHawk International
NetJets
Shuttle America
Southern Air Transport
United Express (Great Lakes)
U.S.A. 3000 Airlines
U.S. Airways (Chautauqua)
World Airways
Zantop International

Dispatchers

Business Express
Champion Air
DHL
U.S. Airways (Allegheny)

Stock Clerks

America West
Air Tran Airlines
Challenge Air
Continental Micronesia, Guam
Southwest Airlines
U.S. Airways (Allegheny)
U.S. Airways (C.C. Air)

Mechanic and Related

Aloha Island Air
America West
Air Tran Airlines
Continental Airlines
Continental Express
Continental Micronesia, Saipan
Frontier
NetJets
Ross Aviation
United Parcel Service (UPS)
U.S. Airways (Allegheny)
U.S. Airways Express (C.C. Air)

Customer Service and Ramp

Air Canada
Air India
Air Portugal
Aloha Island Air
Continental Micronesia, Guam
Continental Micronesia, Saipan
LACSA
Pakistan Airlines
Triangle Aviation
U.S. Airways Express (Allegheny)
U.S. Airways Express (Chautauqua)
U.S. Airways Express (PSA)

Having been at Netjets since July of 1996 I'd be happy to answer any specific information that you may have about working at Netjets. Without any real specific info to go on I can tell you that I think it is absolutely the best flying job around. In this downturn in the economy we are still growing and flying as much as we ever did.

Great posts infoman and dbarton. Well said and I agree.

I take every chance I can get to talk to pilots (from all companies) at airports and FBOS. I find it very interesting that I always hear pilots asking about employment at NetJets, but have never heard anyone asking about working at Flexjet or Flight Options. I wish my fellow pilots luck, but it seems like it will take more than luck for some of these companies to survive much longer. It is going to be a very very tough year for everyone.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back