DWAI questioin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjfo

I have a friend in CO who got pulled over and got a driving while ability imparied, which means he blew .09 and a DUI is .10. Does anyone have experience with this and any suggestions on what he should do. Will he be able to remove this from his record? Does he have to inform the FAA right away or should he wait until his court date? thanks for any help

Was his driver's license administratively suspended? If it was, he is probably within a timeframe to appeal the suspension and he needs to get an attorney ASAP to appeal. As soon as the suspension is final, he must report the suspension to FAA medical (I believe within 60 days). First suspension for failure of alcohol testing or refusal to submit to alcohol testing, or for first DWI offense conviction is no big deal. Failure to report IS A BIG DEAL. I don't know if conviction for DWAI is an offense that must be reported. I doubt it, but I don't know. I live in Texas, and there is no such offense.

If he is not suspended administratively, or convicted of a criminal offense then there is no requirement to report anything to the FAA.

email me @[email protected] if any more Q's.

NYS has DWAI, and to answer your question, upon conviction, it does need to be reported, since it's an "alcohol related driving offense". At this point, there is no distinction between DWI and DWAI.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back