Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dumbest thing you've EVER done in an airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Giving an aircraft check out to a 6,000-hour pilot.
Practicing single engine ILS in a light twin and he shut down the wrong engine.
That was fun.

JimG said:
Yep. Salt Lake Center did the same thing to me one morning a year ago.

Cruising along in the Bonanza and I could see we'd be skimming through the tops of a residual thunderstorm from the night before.

SLC said nothing ominous ahead and 50 miles beyond that was clear, VFR....

10 min. into it, we were getting our teeth shaken out of our mouths, rain hitting the windshield so hard, it drowned out the engine noise.

Thankfully, he was accomodating in giving us an immediate 180, lest I declare an emergency and ruin his whole morning.

I fly with an Avidyne EX500, with satellite wx now and make up my own mind....well worth the $600/year, even if it is for once or twice a year.

That was the odd thing in my case. Only very light precip, little to no chop, and then ZAP.

That got the E bomb outta my mouth pretty quick, and I did my OWN dam 180. ATL Center did a good job after that. I've got some pretty good pics of the damage.

Ok, I gotta tell you guys the dumbest thing I ever did in an airplane...

Using the term "chief" with some 135 customers. Never mind that they were execs from a local American Indian tribe. Gotta hand it to those guys, they are not thin skinned. I felt pretty stupid about it after the trip, but I think those guys took it with a grain of salt. I flew many trips with those guys after that, but I always felt badly about the faux pas.

Mine would have to be closing the cargo door of the 207 and leaving the big metal clamp part of a cargo strap dangling out. I took off and immediately heard it banging away back there on the side of the aircraft. But that wasn't the dumbest part. Another dumb move was deciding not to immediately land again and rectify the situation. The dumbest part was trimming the airplane for a climb, getting out of the seat, going back to the cargo door (I'm talking about the aft portion with the little red handle, the door that opens AGAINST the slipstream), opening the door, and holding onto the door while pulling the strap back into the airplane. Had that maneuver gone wrong, I've always wondered what the NTSB report would have said. The things you do when you're 23.

Grumman guy said:
Pushed forward on the stick just a little too much in the top of an aileron roll in a T-6. I will NEVER do that again.

OH Yeah, I almost forgot. I dang near went to work for a commuter airline once.

Now that was scary!!!!

Did you get the bang the big "Flame-O-Doom"? He he...

"That got the E bomb outta my mouth pretty quick, and I did my OWN dam 180. ATL Center did a good job after that. I've got some pretty good pics of the damage." -Furry220

I wrote the controller at SLCenter was "accomodating", but he really didn't have as choice....I was declaring an emergency if he didn't and neither of us wanted that.

Singlecoil,

I knew a woman who did that in a V-tail Bonanza once coming out of KPHX many years ago.

In severe turbulence no less.

The operative words are "knew" and "once". She also killed a couple of people who were out BBQ'ing as she went in their back yard inverted.

Yep...it's amazing we live beyond our 20's.

dumbest thing

I ALMOST took up an airplane that was lacking AROW. Had just accepted job at new flight school that paid well, but didn't have many aircraft or CFIs. The pilot that was giving me the check out didn't know where to find the documents in the A/C. Told me the students had to find them. When the W&B was missing he said there was not one for the A/C. I backed away at that point because it was the most often used plane in the fleet. The CFIS were taking it up without the paperwork on board! When I mentioned the airplane was "unairworthy" in the eyes of the Feds he gave me a long speech about his time in the military and how a piece of paper did not make the airplane unairworthy because he knew the airplane. It was only illegal if you got caught. I didn't fly with him. Got "the other guys are doing it speech" which was so high school I decided to quit. Dad was a flight engineer in the AF and in three wars and when I told him about the goings on he said "Son, we ALWAYS had the weight and balance manifest onboard". So I think I made the right decision.

BSeals71 said:
Giving an aircraft check out to a 6,000-hour pilot.
Practicing single engine ILS in a light twin and he shut down the wrong engine.
That was fun.

When I got my m-e, both the instructor and the de protected the mixture on the operating engine with a hand. I was insulted at the time, but understand now!

Actually I don't think the PTS includes an engine shutdown on any approaches, it is always at altitude only and the approaches are done with simulated zerothrust.

Latest resources

Back