DPA FSDO anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LewisU_Pilot

Has anyone done his or her initial CFI with them? Or any type of test? I have heard nothing but horror stories and only 5% pass rate on the initial. I would like to talk to others who have had experience with the FSDO so I may be more prepared when I go for my initial in the up coming weeks. Drop a comment so I can PM you. Or PM me please.
Thanks

Oh and I am also wondering what your thoughts are of going outside your region to another FSDO?

Last edited:
LewisU_Pilot said:
Has anyone done his or her initial CFI with them? Or any type of test? I have heard nothing but horror stories and only 5% pass rate on the initial. I would like to talk to others who have had experience with the FSDO so I may be more prepared when I go for my initial in the up coming weeks. Drop a comment so I can PM you. Or PM me please.
Thanks
This was many years ago, but I sent 2 separate students to the DPA FSDO for their initial CFI's which just happen to be Initial MEI's (because we didn't have a complex single)... They both had (separate) 6 1/2 hour orals and nearly 3 hour flights (on a different day) and they both passed on the first try...

Their rides were longer than a typical CFI Initial because of all the twin stuff they had to cover as well...

Not sure if this helps much, but I thought I'd throw it out there...

Im interested as well...i have a friend of mine that ended up doing a 3 day course in Ohio rather then dealing with the BS over at DPA because of some jerking around for a month. Im about to start flying out of a place at DPA and hope things are better there when i get to it..Wishful thinking i know but oh well.

my oral was 6 hours at the DPA FSDO (this was 10 years ago) but i think it was made longer since a DE was observing the FAA to get checked out on CFI orals. the flight was rescheduled for another day since the weather and late hour caused problems. both were passed first try. was it jumping hoops yes... was it "hard", i didn't think so.

big thing in aviation i have learned in my career is you can't spool yourself up about the things you can't control. if the "legend" of the DPA FSDO get you spooked it will show. just do what you can to be the best CFI you can and trust that anyone, DPA FAA, DE, or your future students will see that.

Last I heard (this was about 2 years ago) you called the DPA FSDO when you were ready for a CFI checkride and they would assign you an DPE to go to. You had no say over who you got. I don't know if they still do that or not. I did my CFI training at PWK and went to an airport under the IND FSDO where I could do it with any DPE I wanted (that was qualified for intial CFIs obviously).

A CFI ride at the DPA FSDO is a crapshoot. They have around 10 inspectors who can give rides and they are wildly different. Some are fair and straightforward and others are out to fail you no matter what. (I personally failed my CFI ride because I didnt have the AC with the Knowledge Test Subject codes in the room.. who knew). All give long rides though 8-12 hours is the norm. On the brightside after the initial failure the second ride is usually fairly easy.

The 5% pass rate does not seem to be exaggerated, I work in that FSDO's area and between myself and 5 other people I know who went.. all of whom I consider to be quality instructors, only one passed on the first try.

Good luck.. if you PM me with the inspectors name when you get assigned one I can try and give you some more details.

cale

The DuPage FSDO is out of control. They are either the first ones to start a program or they are always just out there doing crazy stuff that other offices don't do. For instance, they are taking away all of the basic operator 135s in the area. Usually this is when you can have 2 management positions combined into 1. They are no longer granting that deviation and they are telling the operators with it to fill the positions or lose the 135. Also, if you happen to let your CFI expire, you can't just go with a DE. You have to reserve a room, fly to DPA, get a DE and the door stays open so any inspector can observe. I know somebody that flew down to central IN to find a DE that could do the ride without all the BS.

As for your CFI ride, call the FSDO and see if they still do the CFI canidate class. As of a year ago they were still doing it. You sign up, go to the FSDO one night and take part in mock instruction situations that are critiqued by at least 3 different inspectors. They say that 90% of the people who attend that class pass their first initial checkride. Maybe when you say, yeah I went to the CFI class and it was wonderful learning experience, then they cut you a break.

I did my ride over 10 years ago and the inspector has retired now. It was foggy that morning and I called and he said why don't you just drive up as I have the whole day scheduled for you. So I did and we had a very long oral exam. He did teach me some things and that is the one good thing with dealing with the feds. They always bring up practical stuff based on accidents that they have investigated. I passed the oral and came back a week or so later to fly. Ended up doing my first 135 check with the same guy. Was nice to have a relationship with him by then.

As for the inspectors, if you get Dennis Caravella, then I am sorry! Dennis Cmunt is a really nice guy, but he is off the wall about a few things. You will learn some things from him, but he will also drive you crazy with some of the BS he comes up with. He is in charge of all the DEs in the area, so he has quite the reputation. Don't believe everything you hear. All the other folks up there are pretty good people (on the ops side).

Take the class and bring as many possible books that you can. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back