Dornier 328 Prop Operator out of Las Vegas Area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Anyone familiar with the Dornier 328P operator out of the Las Vegas area? I have a friend who has seen them in both Las Vegas (looks like North Las Vegas Airport) and in Orange County. Is it an on-demand charter or tour operator? How many 328s do they have? Where are they based and where do they typically fly?

Any website information or first/second hand knowledge about this operation?

Thanks

Yes, it's Vision air. The 328's are leased and flown by contract pilots. They fly in and out of GCN airport too.

That D328P is FAST!

I've seen the Dornier props flying over SDL on their way to Williams Gateway. Wow is that aircraft fast!!! I looked at their website and they state that they will be starting the following service soon using the 328s:

1. Mesa (Williams Gateway) to Laughlin
2. Scottsdale to Grand Canyon
3. Mesa (Williams Gateway) to Palomar/Carlsbad, CA

Funny that they refer to North Las Vegas airport as "Downtown Las Vegas Airport." I am assuming that Vision Air is attempting a high-utilization strategy where they fly the aircraft on 7-8 sectors per day. Given the sunny and warm weather in that part of the country, it might actually work if they can achieve pretty good load factors. I am sure the lease rates on the 328P are pretty cheap given that 50+ aircraft are sitting in the desert - and that makes it easier to break even...

I'd be interested to hear who Vision is hiring to fly these aircraft. Any ex Indy pilots or PSA pilots who wanted to move out to Vegas and fly that thing... Anyone have more information on this operation? VGT base, etc.?

I'd be interested to hear who Vision is hiring to fly these aircraft. Any ex Indy pilots or PSA pilots who wanted to move out to Vegas and fly that thing... Anyone have more information on this operation? VGT base, etc.?

Ex-Indy guys only flew the 300 model (Jet). Not sure if it's the same type on the piece of paper.

They have 2 former Air Wisconsin tail numbers and have 2 more on the way in the next month or so. All 328's will be owned outright within a year. They also just signed for 2 328 jets that should be here in the fall.

If you are typed in either the 328 Turbo-prop or the 328 Jet then they could probably use you as a street Captain. The pay is not that great but if you need more turbine PIC time and happen to live in the Las Vegas area then it would be a good job. If you are not already typed then I believe that they would make you sign a training contract.

Eventually they want to go to all part 121 but that is going to require having more pilots on the payroll to fly only 1,000 hours per year versus the 1,400 hours per year that they are allowed now. I think that they have good intentions with future sceduled service plans- will have to see how it goes.

Last edited:
How does one apply for the 328 Jet contract flying? I'm typed in the 328 Jet with time in left and right seats. My current position has lots of "down time" and I live in Phoenix, AZ - sounds like it might be a fun side gig (the contract flying). I can't find their website - any suggestions?

AZT

AZ Typed said:
How does one apply for the 328 Jet contract flying? I'm typed in the 328 Jet with time in left and right seats. My current position has lots of "down time" and I live in Phoenix, AZ - sounds like it might be a fun side gig (the contract flying). I can't find their website - any suggestions?

AZT

Find a way to go knock on their door. Right now they are hella busy with summer ops. Some face time may land you a job on the spot.

AZ Typed said:

AZT

Check out www.visionairlines.com. I think it is planning service out of SDL.

Latest resources

Back