Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does Pilot Quality Impact the Bottom Line?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Therein lies the trouble with aviation careers. It doesn't surprise me that this kind of treatment resides in aviation.
Ever since I was 6, I've wanted to be an airline pilot. I couldn't afford to go to Riddle or any other flight school for college, so I went to a local college. I got a degree in engineering so as to better afford flight training (Highest Paying out of college~$55K/yr). It was only after I started flight training that I discovered just how terrible aviation careers can be. It has now made me wonder if I want to subject myself to the crap treatment it takes to become an airpline pilot.
When I was working at Mcdonalds during my high school years, I was bought a sandwich after my 10-minute interview. They had enough respect for me to at least offer me lunch even tough I was to work for minimum wage.

The way I see it, the problem with aviation careers are as follows

1. Incompetent management.
2. Unions. In any other non-unionized careers, you can leave one employer for any reason and get a job somewhere else making MORE money. With the unions and their bullcrap seniority system, if after 20+ years with a company and you leave for another employer, you start at the bottom of the pay scale. This discourages high turnover rates and a major incentive for management to improve working conditions is lost.
3. Lack of self-respect on part of pilots. If pilots are willing to work for 18K to 25K per year after spending $30K+ for training, then they deserve to be treated accordingly...Most people will take such a job and even pay for their own on the job training to "Pay their dues". This is a major reason why pilots will always be treated as "cogs" y management.
4. Over supply of pilots. There simply are too many of us and let's face it, the job that we do is not particualarly difficult. Almost anyone can become a pilot, and in practice, there really is no way to measure how pilot quality impacts the bottom line. Management and pilots know this.

There is considerable difference between a corporate job type situation and one of these group type interview processes. In some of the group processes, you are given time for lunch out. There may or may not be a place near so maybe it is all right to give you a heads up.
In most more personal type interviews, this is not the case. In less personal situations more like cattle calls (group interviews) there is little personal touch unless you get past the intial parts.

Remember the commercial a few years back where kids would say something like "I wanna be a yes man" or "I wanna be a brownnoser" to make a point about growing up to realize not everyone is gonna be Superman? A lot more kids say "I wanna be a pilot" than "I wanna be Assistant District Sales Manager." Face it, flying airplanes is a lot more fun than crunching numbers and making sure "we're making the numbers." Also, how many people aren't qualified for desk jobs because of a physical?

Couple that with the fact that the airlines are in business to make money; regardless of the oceans of red ink they're now bleeding. Mgmt naturally wants to keep costs down, hence the nickel & diming with employees' wages. Obviously we're in a tight spot because they know we enjoy flying and that quite a few pilots could do well in other fields but are in the cockpit due to said love of flying.

Also, mgmt knows most pilots are rather type A. Most pilots are going to get out on time despite incompetence in other areas, such as slow fueling, pax/bag loading, etc. That's why intentional slowdowns are so effective. Mgmt has factored into the schedule our tendency to "make it happen."

At my airline the vast majority of the Captains are great pilots and great people to be around. By the time someone has the seniority to hold Captain he's flown with many such Captains and has the necessary flying skills, temperament, and decision making abilities to ensure a flight's success. The training dept does a fine job, but it's the majority of the line Captains who groom an F/O to be a good Captain.

To answer the original question, as much as I'd like to say pilot quality affects the bottom line, I don't really think it does to a large extent. In my opinion there just aren't many bad pilots flying airliners.Airline flying is, for lack of a better expression, "choreographed." It's the business of moving people, it just happens to be in airplanes. My opinion, which I know is like an unpleasant part of my anatomy, is that pilot satisfaction weighs much in the equation.

Last edited:
I want a chef that can quote Shakespeare.

What yoke through yonder eggshell breaks? Tis a chicken, and this pan the sun. Fall therefore, liquid chick, and bake yourself yet anon. Good stuff.

I've found that an evil kinevil lunchbox works at less formal interviews. For a formal interview, I like something contemporary, such as spiderman or spongebob.

Then there's the question of what to eat during the interview. I prefer something light, and I like to bring something for the interview panel. I was always told it's not polite to eat unless you bring enough for the whole class. What works well is a buddy burner in the brief case. Set that up on the table while they're explaining the sim session or asking questions about approach charts, and then you can have smores while you discuss weather, radar, and regulations.

Try it. You'll really impress them with the cooking, AND shakespeare. Smore! I dip thee, I dip thee, I dip thee! Alas! Poor Marshmallow! I knew the well! Of what, lady interviewer? of speaking honourably? Is not marriage honourable in a beggar? Is not your pilot applicant honourable without hiring? I think you would have me say, 'saving your reverence, a pilot:' and bad thinking do not wrest true speaking, I'll offend nobody: is there any harm in 'the heavier for a smore-smoking pilot'? None, I think, and it be the right pilot and the right company; otherwise 'tis light, and not heavy: ask my buddy Wilber else; here he comes.

I don't care if an interviewer buys me lunch. Doesn't impress me in the least. But an interviewer that's got a trout pond and offers free bait and a hook while I'm waiting for the interview...now I'm impressed.

I long ago gave up submitting to an interview. When called to one, I interview the interviewer. Try it...you might be really surprised how well it works.

And I make them bring their own lunch.

Trouts are optional.

The fish, is the thing.

If the paying public, regardless, airline or corporate, knew what goes on in the "cockpit" they would never get in an airplane again. Those of you who do this for a living know what I am talkng about. Quality of the pilots is a non-issue. Why spend say $20,000(WAG) in training costs, on an an "EXTREMELY' qualified pilot who is fifty-five, who can only werk five years when you can spend the same $20,000 on a 25 year old "pilot" with 250 hours who can werk for 25 years and hope he doesn't wreck an airplane. You do the math. I actually heard of a CEO at a "Major" Regional Airline say that, to paraphrase, it was "cheaper to pay off a crash" than it was to do "otherwise". Figure that one out. So, what has QUALITY have to do with the "bottom line"? Nothing.

JimNtexas said:
Does pilot quality affect the bottom line?

This fact is going to upset a lot of professional pilots - but here goes.

All an airline pilot has to be is adequate. Anything beyond that is not valued by the company. There is no value in passing a checkride "better" than anybody else - you pass or you fail. If you pass you're adequate. If you fail you're not.

Why is that? Most piloting is very routine, sometimes, very rarely, it requires supreme piloting skill so resolve a very dangerous situation. If you could choose those moments and assign your best crews to those moments then there would be some value in having identified your better pilots. But you can't, so you have to train all your pilots to a level that should allow them to resolve almost any situation. Those pilots are adequate.

So in the same way that when there is a labor shortage Burger King has to pay more than minimum wage and has to offer employee referrals and signing bonuses etc. the airlines woud have to woo their pilots if there was a pilot shortage. There is no pilot shortage - so airlines sift through piles of applicants, choose those they think can be adequate and move on. If some group of pilots doesn't want to apply because they have to bring a packed lunch, so be it, plenty more where they came from.

Who knows what he airline business model is, but that's their pilot hiring model. :crying:

If the paying public, regardless, airline or corporate, knew what goes on in the "cockpit" they would never get in an airplane again. Those of you who do this for a living know what I am talkng about. Quality of the pilots is a non-issue. Why spend say $20,000(WAG) in training costs, on an an "EXTREMELY' qualified pilot who is fifty-five, who can only werk five years when you can spend the same $20,000 on a 25 year old "pilot" with 250 hours who can werk for 25 years and hope he doesn't wreck an airplane. You do the math. I actually heard of a CEO at a "Major" Regional Airline say that, to paraphrase, it was "cheaper to pay off a crash" than it was to do "otherwise". Figure that one out. So, what has QUALITY have to do with the "bottom line"? Nothing.

What an absolute crock of BS.

You aren't by chance the 25 year old pilot "werking" at the "major" regional airline that heard "of" a CEO who claimed it's cheaper to pay off a crash than train, are you?

I don't know any airline that refuses to train pilots because it's too expensive...it's regulatory and it's required, and everybody trains. Period. Do YOU know of any airline that quits training pilots when they reach age 55 because they've only got five years left?

Twenty grand for training is nothing, and companies know this. Big, big bucks get spent on training.

What exactly is your point?

NexPilot said:
No chef with no college degree means a chef with a degree; double negative there.

Actually, it is a triple negative; "We don't want no chef with no college degree..." so, it retains the originally intended meaining! :laugh::D;)

Dear avbug,
I have been in the business over twenty-five(for those of you that can't read),25 years. I have seen it more than once that that a younger pilot with less experience has been hired over an older pilot with more experience. Since the company pays for the training, the only conclusion I can come to is, that over a period of time, the cost per year of the low time less experienced low time pilot outweighs the experience of the older more experienced pilot. IOW they get more bang for the buck by hiring younger pilots whose werking life span is longer than an old pilot.

IE: 60-55=5; 20,000/5= 4,000.
60-25=25; 20,000/25=800
60= current retirement age.
Depreciation does count.

Last edited:
Pilot quality can affect the bottom line in many ways.

Unfortunately, they can be difficult to measure.

What about all the untorched enigines, the ublown tires, the undinged wingtips? What about all the placated passengers, the careful use of costly resources?

Most people don't like paying for insurance, but that's exactly what a quality pilot is. A quality pilot is insurance against:

1) Unintentional damage to aircraft
2) Giving passengers the impression that your operation is unsafe
3) Unnecessary expenditures due to inefficient operation and poor decisions
4) A million other things

The problem is age-old: How do ou convince someone to buy quality if the have no understanding of the consequences.

I'll explain this way:

Everyone knows that ultra-cheap tools can break in the middle of a job, thus stopping work.
What is hard to get people to understand is that a poorly-designed tool might not break, but can almost imperceptibly lower the speed and quality of work that is performed.

GOOD managers understand quality and are prepared to pay for it, since they understand that in the end it costs less.

Right now, I think there are very few 'good' managers in the airline business.

Latest resources

Back