• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem is that they are deferring and item and once the timeframe runs out they perform some kind of BS fix like "cleaned cannon plug and reseated....ops check good" Well, on the very next flight it gets written up for the same thing and MX comes out and redeferrs the same system....essentially restarting the MEL clock without ever fixing anything. Happens all the time

SO TRUE...this is a famous method...

It's true! This happened recently at TSA...an aircraft had a really bad oil leak...at every stop, MX would look at it and say it's "within tolerances", clean up the oil on the cowling, top of the oil and continue on, even though there was a massive puddle of oil under the engine...they kept putting it on the carryover list and deffering it.

Well, it finally happened the other week that on a short hop, the engine lost all oil pressure and the crew had to shut it down in flight, declare an emergency, all that garbage...Kudos to the crew for getting it downs safe, but still...perfect example of the 'band-aid' breaking.

If your MX is abuseing the system then you do have a serious problem, but the MEL system is intended to keep planes moving safely. As for high oil consumption, I write it up to protect my lisence then tell the mechanic if you want to sign it off fine we'll put your lisence on the line, not mine. If the above story is true the FAA investigates every time an engines rotation stops in flight. With a history like you describe I would imagine they will take action.

That's not the way it's supposed to work. I'm pretty sure the feds will catch up with that after a while.

Actually, it is the way it is supposed to work, or else it wouldn't be legal. Now, you don't want to have stickers hanging like wallpaper, and any airline will realize a diminishing returns of having TOO many MELs. Plus, you are right, the Feds will be over any airline's a-- that abuses the rule, but again, the rule is there to make the economics work.

Anyway, there exists a "marginal return" point where the number of MELs is most efficient for the maximum return on revenue.

Safety of course is number one, but it is usually better to run the MEL to near the end of the term and when the aircraft is at a maintenance base so as not to lose revenue.

Again, don't abuse the rule, use the rule properly and it will work.

If you feel that maintenance isn't fixing stuff the way you want then one option is to change the wording you use when you write something up. Write it so that they have to fix it.

If you feel that maintenance isn't fixing stuff the way you want then one option is to change the wording you use when you write something up. Write it so that they have to fix it.

Exactly. If they can just slap a deferral sticker on it and go, you're not writing it up right. Any airplane can be grounded anytime. If you're not comfortable with the plane and it's deferrals, Captain, grown some balls and refuse it!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back