does AMR have bad travel/NRSA benifits?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

altimaklr

I heard AA/AE has one of the most restrictive non-rev policies -- for instance, you have to work a certain amount of years to get free travel, you have to pay extra for first class, etc.

Can any Eagle/AA pilot enlighten me on your policy, and what your opinion is of it?

We have to pay a service charge for all non-rev travel initially. The fee used to start at around $5, but with the new taxes and security fees, it's around $10 now. First class costs more, starting around $15. You fly for free in coach once you are with the company five years, and get free travel in any class with 25 years service. The only time we fly free is when we have to take the jumpseat when the cabin is full.

I don't know if it's better or worse- it probably depends on how often you fly. Other airlines charge you a yearly fee for non-rev, after which travel is free, and some charge only for first class.

AA Travel vs. DAL

The info on AA travel about is correct. I work for ASA and we have Delta passes, which are incredible. Unlimited travel, first/coach/business, all free. Parents get over a dozen travel days per year domestic, and like 18 or something crazy international. All free. My wife is an AA stew and they are kinda tight with their employees on all sides. Example, AA Credit Union seems to nickel and dime for everythign, Delta Employees is basically free for everything. They will even write your checks and send your bills for you for free-all you need to do is get paperless statements.

If I remember right, Eagle has a really bad jumpseat policy with AA mainline.

I don't remember the specifics, but I believe if you jumpseat on AA during either you first 6 months, or first year of employment, then you have to pay a surcharge for each time you jumpseat. It comes out of your paycheck. However, if you jumpseat on anyone else, obviously its free. That's one policy I'll never understand.

I concur, several times I asked an AA capt for the FDJ, only to be turned away only cuz I was Eagle (dispatcher). One capt said "I dont carry Eagle, get off my airplane."

I ended up giving up on ever riding AA, except in back. If I had to jumpseat, I would ride ATA to DFW - they take great care of their jumpseaters.

Unfortunately, a lot of AA captains used to be pricks when it came to dealing with Eagle personnel. Thankfully, almost everyone now understands the theory of whipsAAwing by management, and they're generally friendly toward us.

It's true that we are not allowed to jumpseat on our own airline. We must ride in the back and pay the service charge, unless the cabin is full. Then we ride the jumpseat and it's free.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back