• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Do it matter?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Does it matter if people in the back say thanks?

• Yes, I'm glad someone appreciates me.

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • No, I don't need validation from anyone.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Gold jacket, green jacket; who gives a sh*t.

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters

chawbein

As part of the flying public, I make it a point to say thanks to the cockpit crew everytime I get off the plane (as long as the door is open). I was just curious if it matters to any of you pilot types whether a passenger says "thanks"?

I think the guys (and gals) who flew corporate try harder to make the flight smoother (by using things such as half-bank, turb mode, trying to make a smooth landing). I think the former corporate pilots appreciate someone giving them a compliment.

Of course I've flown with guys who really don't give a crap, they think their job is only to get someone from ABC to XYZ, they don't care if if it's bumpy, uncomftorable, etc.

The way I see it, their paying quite a bit for a ride from here to there, if you want them to keep coming back (and help you bring food home to your eleventeen kids) it may be wise to make their ride a little more comftorable.

I personally will not talk or say "thanks" to the crews when I am a passenger, something that I have just always done since becoming a DAL employee. I don't know my exact reasoning however I did find it somewhat foolish and corny when I would jumpseat on DAL and people would pester the hell out of the crews when we finally came to rest at the gate.

I think the guys (and gals) who flew corporate try harder to make the flight smoother (by using things such as half-bank, turb mode, trying to make a smooth landing).

Depending on who the passengers are usually dictates how "smoothly" one will usually work the controls.:D :D Sad in a way because a human life is a human life, regardless if you are some well known executive or just some blue coll (a) middle class assembly line worker:confused:

c h e e r s

3 5 0

It makes my day

I fly boxes now, but when I used to fly pax it would really make my day when someone said, Hey man, nice flight...or...Hey man, nice landing.

I never got a pat on the back from management so it felt real good to have someone say Thanks.

It isn't validation, it's entertainment!

When I help Henry Kissinger off the airplane, and he says "Tank you gentlement, dat vas a very nice flight" in that accent of his, it's hilarious! :D

Seriously, everyone on our planes gets the same treatment, whether they are Britney, Bob Dole, Tony Snow, or Denise Rich. Every customer deserves the best we can do. That's our job. It's a service.

If I wasn't willing to do a first class job each time, I wouldn't do it at all.

I think regardless if a person is flying a CEO of a Fortune 500 company or "Joe-Shmo" third-class citizen in the back of a 737 or what have you...we are in the SERVICE business. I think it matters what they as the paying passenger think about a service being provided to them. I know first hand in the corporate environment we go out of our way to provide exceptional service with every minute detail accounted for because that is what is expected (service wise). I don't mean this as any kind of flame, but with the airline travel that I do...I think service has taken a back seat to some other factors. It's a real shame because regardless how you view it...aviation is a service oriented business.

Happy Flying!:cool:

ummm....yeah....thats what flight attendants are for.
i usually try to be the first one off the plane so I can get the jumpseat home. (or get to the hotel bar, whichever is closer!)

It's nice when you get a compliment, but not necessary. It's particularly nice when I grease it on and the pax automatically go to the captain and say nice landing, and I get to kind of wave and say "no, that was me."

Often your not going to get compliments for your best performances. It's not too hard to grease one on when the wind is eight knots right down the runway. But when it's a direct crosswind and gusting really good at night in the rain, and you had to shoot an NDB (yes some of us still use those) you could shoot a great approach and plant it right on the centerline and in the touchdown zone, but darned if you'll get a compliment since the only thing the pax know is that they were getting bumped around.

As far as trying to be smooth, i've never had someone say "oh, these are just some lowly blue collar guys, fly really rough this leg". I fly the best I can and as smooth as I can on every flight regardless of who's in the back. And I can't see myself doing it any different if I get to an airline. Of course there are those empty legs where you just want to have some fun.

Latest resources

Back