Do I have a chance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RTF

I'm a recently retired Army helicopter driver who started flying late in life. I have a commerical ticket and 671 hrs in rotor wing and about 100 in fixed. I want to fly for a civlian company, any company. Do I have a shot at gaining employment with my hrs. ?

RTF said:
I'm a recently retired Army helicopter driver who started flying late in life. I have a commerical ticket and 671 hrs in rotor wing and about 100 in fixed. I want to fly for a civlian company, any company. Do I have a shot at gaining employment with my hrs. ?
Find a drop zone and start flying skydivers. Get checked out in a rental twin engine and start logging a few twin hours...once you get comfortable, get some real IFR time.

It may sound like an uphill battle, but those hours add up quickly.

right place, right time and all in who you know- get busy. if that is what you want to do then go for it. :)

You have an excellent chance

Your rotor time which is probably mostly turbine will be valuable in the oil or powerline industry. Thatis where I would work towards.

Aptap

Join APTAP, just do a search under APTAP and it will pop up. It is free. It is a military helo pilot, Army primarily, networking group. If you ask the same questions you will get answers from someone who has already been there and done that.

Last edited:
RTF said:
With your current experience, it's going to be difficult to find a job that will allow you to live a descent lifestyle; but having a military retirement check every month will certainly help. You didn't say how old you are. If you're in your 40's suck it up pay your dues and get on with it - you will be able to do anything you want to. I've got an retired Army buddy who just retired and he's 60. If you're in that boat then go get your CFI and find a nice flight school and enjoy.

With less than 800 hours total time you're not going to walk into any chief pilot's office and walk out with a high paying civilian job - there's just too many pilots out there looking for that same job. Realistically, you're going to need another 700 to 1200 hours before you're going to be competitive. Get you're CFI and start instructing.

'Sled

RTF,

I don't know where you live or what your flying aspirations are, but one regional, Skywest Airlines, at one point use to allow some rotor time in the calculation of total time to meet their minimum time requirements. Regionals also tend to hire older pilots. A friend of mine who recently completed class with Skywest said that a recent Brasilia class included several older piliots.

Food for thought.

Thanks to all that have replied

With just 671 rotor hrs. I don't expect, want, or need a high paying job. I just want to fly. I had gotten promoted out of flying while in the Army and then retired. I had no idea I would miss it this much. If anyone knows of a company who would hire passion over hrs. please let me know. And to Pilotyip, thanks for the tip on APTAP...great site.

RTF:

Unfortunately, with the time you have there really are not too many options available to you at the time. Get your CFI and start instructing. Get with a good flight school and you should be able to build some good time. Once you reach the 1,200 time mark (Part 135 IFR) look into cargo flying, or again, a regional. Many regionals begin looking at pilots with 1,000/100.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back