DME arcs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Blackjet said:
Unless otherwise stated or given instructions from the controller, the ARC may be intercepted from anywhere. At a distance = to 1 to 2% of your groundspeed (150KIAS = 1.5-3.00NM), turn 90% and intercept the ARC. If you have an RMI, just turn 90 degrees and keep the needle pointed 90 degrees to your direction of travel. If you are getting blown towards the fix the ARC is based off of, put in some correction and if you are getting blown away from that fix, once again, put in correction. It really is just that simple. DME ARCs happen to be a great place to use the A/P in HEADING mode.

That's too much work. If it's a charted DME ARC and you're cleared for the approach, LNAV/VNAV do wonders.... Puerto Vallarta VORDME 22 comes to mind... :D

Last edited:
A Squared said:
On the airways. To OTEJE via V191 from the Thief River Falls VOR and the OTAXY on V430 from Devils Lake VOR

I might be looking at an old chart, but V430 is off the 270 radial, and according to the FAA I would have to be on the 269 radial, or 1/5 of a mile to the south, to legally start the approach. V191 is off teh 071 radial so if I was inbound from TVF, no prob, but if I was inbound from ROX on V171, I have to either track to the vor and then outbound on either the 269, 071 or the 003 radial to start the approach, or get radar vectors if available. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:
DC8 Flyer said:
I might be looking at an old chart, but V430 is off the 270 radial, and according to the FAA I would have to be on the 269 radial, or 1/5 of a mile to the south, to legally start the approach. V191 is off teh 071 radial so if I was inbound from TVF, no prob, but if I was inbound from ROX on V171, I have to either track to the vor and then outbound on either the 269, 071 or the 003 radial to start the approach, or get radar vectors if available. Makes sense to me.

I saw that to. I wonder if it's just because the VOR needs an update due to Mag Var change or not. Wonder what the Lat/Long are for the two points as they may actually be the same point but time has required some adjustments.

Thanks everyone for the nice thread.

CloudyIFR said:
I saw that to. I wonder if it's just because the VOR needs an update due to Mag Var change or not. Wonder what the Lat/Long are for the two points as they may actually be the same point but time has required some adjustments.

Thanks everyone for the nice thread.

All and all, we are splitting hairs, non radar, start the arc at the beginning to be legal, vectors, go wherever ATC tells you (yes yes, dont let ATC kill you).

Keep in mind, mag var will not change a VOR radial, it will only change the mag course across the ground. The radial is "fixed" and has to be manually "recalibrated" if thats the right word.

DC8 Flyer said:
I gues I have never seen that (doesnt mean it doesnt exist, just never seen it) I have seen an approach that is one continuous arc to the runway.

I am wondering if the person that wrote this letter misunderstood what was being asked, although I am not privy to the actual question. It would seem that if the FAA didn't want pilots intercepting arcs anywhere but the IAF on the arc there would be an easier way to answer the question. Or maybe I just have too simple of a mind.

Do you have any examples of an arc being part of a feeder route, that would be interesting to see. Also, any opinion on the GPS units being able to move the arc?

I used to teach at this airport. MTN in Baltimore, a continuous arc approach.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0602/05222VDTZ15.PDF

jeez you guys are making my head hurt with all that tech jargon stuff

midlifeflyer said:
Ah! The Martin State arc approach. A favorite for a session on a sim!
I don't think that there is a better one for training than that one. Log after I had my Inst ticket, I worked with a corporate pilot to actually learn something about real world flying. He had a PC Training device that was FAA approved. He would have you shoot the Martin State full ARC and he would change the speed and the direction of the wind everytime I progressed 10 degrees. You wanna talk aobut wondering how you ever passed a checkride! When I finally figured out what he was doing, I was already well on the way to mastering that bad boy, but it did teach me alot, and I have no problems when given an ARC to this day. I think they are a challenge and a lot of fun. Now if only I could get a trip to the Baltimore area.

Well I kindda feel like a dumba$$!!! I have no idea how to do a dme Arc. so this discussion is kindda depressing!!!! lol

Latest resources

Back