Dispatching...where to go from here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

Ok, this is going to be a lengthy post with a lot of parts to it so bare with me. I am looking for advice as to what I should be thinking when it comes to advancing my career.
First, a little background about myself. I'm 27, work in Ohio for one of the fractionals (I'm not going to say which one) as a "dispatcher."
I've only been with the company for a little over a year....the starting pay was better than the regionals, but that was basically to lure you in the door. I had a raise last year of under 3%, they've recently raised the cost of our benefits, and they've decided to add a lot more work to our department and aren't planning on increasing our pay at all! The added workload is due to a merger between two departments, and the crappy part is, the people coming from the other department are going to get to retain their senoirity so we are all effectively taking a drop in seniority after putting in over a year's time with the company. I am very nervous about the future of our company, and I've started looking towards an exit strategy. I'm really trying to ask myself, what should I put more emphasis on....I mean, I am making more money by staying with a fractional....but at the same time, it's not part 121 experience....so if I plan on making dispatching my career, do I really need to take a step backwards in pay, in order to take more steps forward towards the ultimate goal with my career? So here I go with my questions that hopefully some of you can answer. Feel free to private message me if you don't feel comfortable answering these questions on the public board.
#1. Should I stick it out with my current company until I at least have 2 years in? I know sometimes airlines value time with a company more so than if my work was in a 121 environment or not. Or should I just get out while I can?

#2. Can anyone working as a dispatcher for the airlines tell me the scoop? I'm going to list off some airlines I'm thinking about applying to, or have already applying to, and if I could get some feedback on these that would be great....

-Comair/I hear the dispatchers make pretty good money compared to that of other regionals, however I have heard to stay away from applying until they get stabilized and figure all these pilot talks out.

-Airtran/I applied here once and got an email saying that they were not considering me as a candidate even though I met the requirements according to their web site. Is this a company that absolutely wants 121 experience? Would it be best to apply as a flight follower, and hope to slide into a dispatch position that way?

-Skywest/I have heard that this is a good company, however I am not wanting to move to an isolated place like St. George. My wife is trying to get her teaching career going, and I think a place like that would not provide many opportunities for her. Frankly, I think Skywest made a mistake by establishing headqaurters in such an isolated spot.

-Southwest/I have heard that you have to already work for them in another positions before they will consider you for a dispatching position. I applied as a scheduler a few weeks ago, but haven't heard anything back.

-Jetblue/It looks like I meet the requirements according to their web site, however I'm reluctant to move to New York City for $50,000/year pay.....that's a very big move for me.

-PSA Airlines/Well, I'm originally from Dayton, so moving back home would be easy....however I am reluctant because I would be taking a pay hit, and it seems like the turnover is high because they are always posting positions it seems....maybe this is just due to expansion?

-Chatauqua/I don't know anything about the city of Indianapolis...I would take a pay hit....Just don't know enough about the company I guess.

-Mesa/NO WAY! Heard about the pay.

-Frontier/Never see any dispatcher postings...what's the deal here?

-ASA/Same as frontier....what's the deal?

So after listing these places I am thinking about...any advice or comments would be appreciated. Especially looking forward to hearing from people who work at these companies.

Do you work for exec jet perhaps? Personally I think its best to get on with one of the regionals in your area. Possibly Chatauqua which actually you would be positioned with one of the three companies all owned by Republic airlines. Republic, Chatauqua, and Shuttle America are all owned by Republic and are all housed in the same building in Indy. I heard they are alright(not top notch but it would get you some 121 experience).

Comair would probably be ok too for you. They are a little shakey for the time being but in the long run I think they will be just fine. Not a bad choice for you and in your region of the country.

As for Skywest, I am sure that part of the country is just beautiful but there is no way I would move to such a place. Dont know much about how they treat their dispatchers.

I say try and get on with a regional and get your 121 experience there and then try and move up to a major. They almost always want prior 121 experience. Atleast a few years I would think. Hope some of this helps.

Comair would probably be ok too for you. They are a little shakey for the time being but in the long run I think they will be just fine. Not a bad choice for you and in your region of the country.

pilots agreed to new terms and are settled. Should not be too shakey now and should be out of BK this spring. I see good things for them, keeping in mind they are not a major.

True True

pilots agreed to new terms and are settled. Should not be too shakey now and should be out of BK this spring. I see good things for them, keeping in mind they are not a major.

Yeah I sure hope so. They are a pretty good company in my opinion. And yes I am aware they are not a major. However the way the DOT was reporting Comair and ASA as both a major due to number of passengers carried or some other statistic. This was like a year or two ago.

Not knowing your goals, I can only say this: If working for the airlines
is your goal, then you need to get airline experience. Find something that will work for you and then work your way up the ladder. Understand that it will take time and there are no guarantees. It was 10 years from the time I started at my first regional, until I got a job offer at the majors. Now granted I didn't spend that 10 years actively looking. I only applied sporadically to jobs that I knew were avaiable. I ended up interviewing with Southwest, Alaska, and Continental.

That said, don't be so quick to discount corporate. I know little about corporate dispatch, but I know that it generally pays better, and offers better quality of life, at least over being a junior dispatcher at an airline.

The other piece of advice I will offer is that if you want more than a 3% cost of living raise, you have to take on more responsibilty. As a dispatcher, I never got more than a 3% raise. It wasn't until I became and Instructor/Evaluator and later a Supervisor that I got "good" raises. That is just the way it is. If you want to stay on the desk, expect minimal raises. If you want bigger raises, you have to move up. I don't know where you work, but if it is one of the big fractional companies, there may be more and better opportunities to advance than if you went to an airline.

I'm having this same issue currently. I make some pretty good money as a supervisor at a fractional, but I find my job to be less fulfilling than it used to be. I recently got my Dispatcher License, so I now have more options open to me. I'm wondering if I should try to go bigger (cargo/airline). Has anyone made this jump in the past? Is it an easy transition?

TKEON,

I think the real question you have to ask is..."Will my quality of life improve?". Answer that to yourself truthfully and everything else will fall into place, no matter if you stay at the fractional or go to an airline.

If you want the airlines then the sooner you take leap to the regionals and get some experience in Part 121 dispatching, more qualified and competitive you are going to be. The financial responsibilities will only grow as you get older and it will only be much harder to make this decision. At a young age, it is also easier to adapt to airline work schedules. I'd say experience is a must. It's like gold in this industry.

Latest resources

Back