• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Discount carrier says it could shut South Florida operations if union strikes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a thought...in this crippled economy, why don't the Spirit guys enjoy the fact that they are employed? They can go for a raise when the economy gets stronger.

G4dude,

I dont know if you are joking or naive.

In this industry, there is never "A GOOD ECONOMY". If there ever was a "stronger economy" there would be excuses of bad weather (hurricanes, floods), diseases (sars, swine flu), terrorism (9/11), RASM versus CASM, competition and a host of other selections that mngmt will use to beat down labor.. Meanwhile, none of those "bad" excuses ever dissolve or take away mngmt pay, bonuses and benefits.

Enjoying your job is one thing. Doing your job for slave labor is another. There will be a point in your life that flying a "shiny-jet" for free and bad work rules, will wake you up and see that you are worth more than that.

Spirit guys stay strong.

CYA

Just a thought...in this crippled economy, why don't the Spirit guys enjoy the fact that they are employed? They can go for a raise when the economy gets stronger.

Spirit made well over $100 million in profits last year. I think they can afford to pay industry standard.

You mean like how the CEO's and Management Folks get pay raises and the Pilots and FA's are asked to take pay cuts. You talking about that kinda economy?
Spare us!!!

G4- I think that about sums it up- seriously idiotic.

Two things- you'll never be paid a low enough amount- and there is NEVER a good time for the airlines to give pay raises - (except to themself)

Good try though idiot- Spirit and their low prices are BENEFITING from this economy- you remind me of all the regional CEOs claims during the 2000's- explosive growth- huge profits- but since the legacies were doing bad they certainly couldn't give raises.... Terrible line of thinking

G4dude,

I dont know if you are joking or naive.

In this industry, there is never "A GOOD ECONOMY". If there ever was a "stronger economy" there would be excuses of bad weather (hurricanes, floods), diseases (sars, swine flu), terrorism (9/11), RASM versus CASM, competition and a host of other selections that mngmt will use to beat down labor.. Meanwhile, none of those "bad" excuses ever dissolve or take away mngmt pay, bonuses and benefits.

Enjoying your job is one thing. Doing your job for slave labor is another. There will be a point in your life that flying a "shiny-jet" for free and bad work rules, will wake you up and see that you are worth more than that.

Spirit guys stay strong.

CYA

Great response. I wish more people would understand this reality.

Haven't looked at ULLP pay lately. It doesn't matter because an Airways Capt has higher career expectations than a Spirit Capt. Spirit has only A320 series birds-no widebodies, no trans atlantic routes, a small domestic route structure, or any of the perks a pilot gets from flying for a major.

I think the only career expectations for most Airways capt's (easties) is to make it another year or two til retirement.

Just sayin'

Good lord guys- the airways crap doesn't have anything to do w/ this thread

All:

If ALPA can negotiate a spot on the Board of Directors for a pilot, they can sure as hell make sure the pilot group is in charge of the hiring.....it is simply a matter of will.

A350

Sounds logical, but I gotta disagree with the premise that a pilot seat on the BOD is a "win" for the group: management will play a pilot on the board like a fiddle. Happened to AAA ALAP and cost us a tremendous amount. I will fight anyone who tries to get a union officer a place on the BOD.

What better way to manage the pilot group's expectation than to invite the Grand Poobaah of the Union to be on the board? The inconvenience of having to stage mock board meetings with him in attendance is far outweighed by the direct link they have to the pilots' fears and expectations.

Of course, mgt will always put up a fight and play like this seat on the board is something you should have to pay for, but the reality is they can play this game from a variety of (sexual?) positions, and the "Pilot on the Board" position is just a kinky variation that pleases them as much as a terrorist attack or a good spike in fuel costs. Whatever happens, good or bad, all Airline Managements find a way to use it against you.

Latest resources

Back