Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
I am looking to buy a Digicam but wanted some input from others with experience.
There are lots of good cameras out there so to narrow it down, I am looking for something very portable that I can carry around easily without looking like a Japanese tourist. I would also like it to be something that I can carry in the cockpit without being a burden. From that, I know I am looking at something along the lines of an "ultracompact" camera. The two cameras at the top of my list right now (I'm very open to suggestions) are the Casio Exilim EX-Z4U and the Canon Powershot S400 Digital Elph. I've gone on CNET.com and searched and read reviews on many cameras and now I would like your reviews.
Please try not to show too much bias, just give me the pros and cons of the camera(s) you are familiar with.

Thanks!

Digital Camera?

You make enough money to buy one of those things?:eek:

I msut be in the wrong job! ;)

For travel I use a Sony Cybershot 5.0MP. Small, light weight, manual/automatic options. Takes great pictures (good enough for some to be posted on Airliners.net.....cheap personal plug there:D ). I also sprung for a 128MB stick as the standard 16MB doesn't hold too many 5MP picutres. A 256MB stick is also an option if you don't carry a laptop and need a lot of storage.

2000Flyer

I've had a Canon S-230 Digital Elph for the better part of the year, and it's been a fantastic cockpit camera. Fits in my pocket, and sits on the dash without getting in the way. At the time I bought it, it was the only Elph with better than 2 megapixels (it's 3.2). Today, I'd go with the S400 because of its higher resolution and better zoon (3x vs. 2x on the s230). Physical size is the same.

It uses the widely-available (and inexpensive) CompactFlash memory, which I like. (The Sony cameras, nice as they are, are out for me because of the MemoryStick being so much more expensive.)

I'd go for the S400. I'd buy another Canon in a heartbeat.

My biggest slection criteria are, is it from one of the major camera brands, Canon is one of the two big ones, Nikon is the other, and does it use Compact Flash (cheap, durable, and common memory type).

I then look at the features of the cameras that fit both that catgories, I have looked at the Canon it's a great little camera.

Heres a pretty indepth review of it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons400/

That site IS the best Digital Camera review site on the net.

My old Sony DCP50 irritates the krap out of me because it takes pictures when it wants to, not when I tell it to. Does anyone know of a digital cam that acts like a good SLR? Somtimes I want to capture a moment, and I lose it because the Sony delays the shutter.

Thanks,
enigma

I've been using an Olympus Stylus 4.0 megapix camera for a little over a month now and it takes great pics. It's relatively small and its weatherproof (if that matters to you).

Just got the Cannon EOS Rebel, 6.3 megapixels... What can I say, that thing is awsome!!! Definately worth the extra if you can swing it..

Interestingly enough....those were the 2 cameras I was just looking at. In the end, went with the Canon S400 and couldn't be happier. I liked the size of the Casio, but when comparing the two side-by-side...the Canon wins hands down. Take the Casio and just pan around with it while looking at the display...slow to update- with the Canon, its like using a video camera.

I won't delve into much more detail on here to keep people from falling asleep...but if you have any other questions...drop me a note!

I own the Casio EX-Z4U and have been very happy with it. Very small size, battery lasts forever, and high quality pictures. Got it on walmart.com for about $360

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back