• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DEN area CFI job/intel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i believe that with the latest price decrease (unlike other schools which raise rates when fuel goes up but then never lowers them, starwest adjusts rates both ways for gas) it's $108 or $112. all planes are $5-$10 cheaper with block time.

roundout said:
i believe that with the latest price decrease (unlike other schools which raise rates when fuel goes up but then never lowers them, starwest adjusts rates both ways for gas) it's $108 or $112. all planes are $5-$10 cheaper with block time.

Thanks roundout,

Seems like a good deal. PM me your info if you don't mind, I may be interested in getting a high perf checkout with you this spring.

I used to fly for StarWest (freight) and used to instruct for the original flight school that became StarWest (AeroFlight). Although it's been quite a while (that Arrow was only $75 an hour when I was there!), it used to be a great place to work/fly. I don't know how much things have changed out there, but for what it's worth FTG was a great place with great pilots....but then again, we were all a bit out of control and trouble looking for a place to happen (does anyone still "ride the beacon" out there anymore?). ;) If it's anything like it used to be, I highly encourage people to fly out of Front Range.

McNair Aviation (?) was hiring a little while back.

Check www.aopa.org there is a section for employment.

Standby 1 said:
I used to fly for StarWest (freight) and used to instruct for the original flight school that became StarWest (AeroFlight). Although it's been quite a while (that Arrow was only $75 an hour when I was there!), it used to be a great place to work/fly. I don't know how much things have changed out there, but for what it's worth FTG was a great place with great pilots....but then again, we were all a bit out of control and trouble looking for a place to happen (does anyone still "ride the beacon" out there anymore?). ;) If it's anything like it used to be, I highly encourage people to fly out of Front Range.

they put in a tower last spring. the hippies and ultralight guys still hang out there and do their thing, but it's a lot better than it used to be. still beats the hell out of centennial. i get from the ramp to the practice area in 10 minutes. sometimes at centennial i can't even get in a taxi request in the same 10 minutes.

starwest itself is still the best establishment on the field, bar none.

Looks like all the CFI positions at Starwest are "contract". Have to bring in my own students. Don't think that's for me.

roundout said:
they put in a tower last spring. the hippies and ultralight guys still hang out there and do their thing, but it's a lot better than it used to be. still beats the hell out of centennial. i get from the ramp to the practice area in 10 minutes. sometimes at centennial i can't even get in a taxi request in the same 10 minutes.

starwest itself is still the best establishment on the field, bar none.

Wow, a control tower. Times are a changin'. As I recall, Denver was a very tight market for flying....used to be that you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting 10 out of work pilots. There were two flight schools on the field then - Action and AeroFlight and everyone was a contract cfi. I got lucky and was hired into a salaried position as chief instructor for AeroFlight and we later became StarWest when we acquired the Navajo's. Between the two flight schools there were a half-dozen of us who worked our arses off -- we were out there 7 days a week, answering phones, getting students and busting our butts. And man, did we fly...racking up close to 1000 hrs a year. I did a TON of mountain checkouts and lots of multi engine stuff because the Seminole was so cheap. Of course, it was also a mx nightmare at the time....I got used to coming back to the field on one engine.

But for those of us who put in the hard work, it paid off (in a dubious sense, if you consider working for any 121 carrier these days a pay off).

Is Shane still running the mx department? Neat guy -- his wife was one of my students. Walter (ex-Great Lakes) ran Action Aviation, but he left for Florida last time I heard. All in all, it was a great place to work and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

market is still the same in denver. tough to make a go of it.

shane is still the mx boss. that's one of the only reasons i fly there - like i said, the planes are safe. there's a third school on the field now, daedalus. they always seem busy. action is small but stoic. they have a mooney that rents for like $75 wet. i think that one airplane may keep their whole operation running.

Fellow Denver Pilots! OOORRAHHHH!

I would look into BJC and Centennial. BJC has several flight schools and a club or two. I am not that familiar with Centennial's opportunities as I live on the north side.

At BJC, you have McAir Aviation, Journey's, Western Air Flight Academy and flight club. Personally, I like the "feeling" of the others beside McAir but McAir does a healthy business. Since it is all about flight time and getting your rear into a seniority based system as soon as possible(assuming airlines), then go where the flying is abundant and push hard until you get it all lined up.

I flight instruct at Jeffo Airport and it's just like everyone else has said. I have also flown at many of the other flight schools. Star West is good, although the price of the seminole went up to $150/hour from $139/hour, but it does have an ADF and HSI (the seminole at my school does not!). There are also other airports depending on where you move. Up north has Boulder (1V5), Longmont (2V2), Erie-Tri County (48V), Fort Collins/Loveland (FNL) and Greely (GXY). There's not much south other than Centennial and then further south is Colorado Springs (COS).

KBJC:

www.journeysaviation.com

www.mcairaviation.com

www.westernairflightacademy.com

www.airwestflyingclub.com

KAPA:

www.flights-inc.com

Links to other flight schools at Centennial Airport

KFTG:

www.starwestaviation.us

www.actionaviationacademy.com

www.daedalusaviation.com

Good Luck.

Side Note: If you instruct at McAir you can have the cool call sign of "MCAIR 12345"!

eP.

Latest resources

Back