Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can they log turbine PIC time?

NO! Just because you have a type rating does not mean you are a captain. You must still take a 121 PIC checkride, you must have a FED line check which relief FOs do not take at DAL, and you must sign the release. FOs and relief FOs do none of that at DAL.

Even if it is two F/Os in the cockpit during the crossing and the "A" or Captain is napping, the "A" is still logging PIC.

Now, if you are senior enough to be an "A" on a three man flight, you are probably pretty senior and could not care less about logging PIC.

I have 1000+ PIC in turbo props from a regional, and 1000+ PIC heavy military jets. I couldn't care less about more PIC. I bid whatever airplane/routes that can give me the best combination of QOL and salary. It's not a junior left seat.

My guess is that instructordude is a type rated right seater who tell his girlfriend that he is captain. Ultimately, when push comes to shove and checklists are called for, he knows in his heart that he is just an FO.

Fact is that if you did not sign for it you are not in command of it. Log the PIC and then when you get furloughed take it to another company, or show it to a Fed. I am sure they would also tell you what and idiot you are.

According to this interpretation, you can log it as PIC. Refer to the bold part. Would I do it? No.

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for your letter of January 25, 1999, in which you ask questions about logging pilot in command (PIC) time and second in command (SIC) time when operating under Part 121 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR)

You first ask whether it would be proper under FAR 61.51(g) for a properly qualified SIC to log instrument flight time flown during instrument conditions while serving as the SIC in Part 121 operations on an aircraft that requires two crewmembers. The answer is yes. As a qualified SIC, and as a required crewmember, you are "operating" the aircraft within the meaning of FAR 61.51(g). Therefore, as the SIC operating the aircraft "solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions," you would log that time as SIC flown in instrument conditions. Naturally, the PIC logs the time as PIC flown in instrument conditions.

You then ask if, for the purposes of maintaining instrument currency, an instrument approach on the above flight flown by the PIC can be logged as an instrument approach by the SIC. The answer is no. As the SIC you have not "performed" the approach as contemplated by FAR 61.57(c) because you were not the sole manipulator of the controls during the approach.

Lastly, you present the following scenario: under a Part 121 operation the air carrier has designated a pilot and a copilot as required by FAR 121.385(c). The pilot is the authorized PIC and the copilot is the authorized SIC. The PIC is also the company check airman. During the course of the flight, the SIC is the sole manipulator of the controls for the flight. Additionally, he has passed the competency checks required for Part 121 operations, at least as SIC. You ask whether the SIC can log PIC time for that portion of the flight in which he is the sole manipulator of the controls for the flight. The answer is yes.

There is a distinction between actingas pilot in command and loggingof pilot in command time. "Pilot in command," as defined in FAR 1.1, "means the pilot responsible for the operation and safety of an aircraft during flight time." FAR 61.51(e) is a flight-time logging regulation, which only regulates the recording of PIC time used to meet the requirements toward a higher certificate, higher rating, or for recent flight experience:

I had an interview once with a non legacy carrier a while back that didn't go too well. During a log book review we were discussing the validity if PIC (in a literal sense as logged in my book) and Air Force Primary, secondary, and "other". I explained that primary is "at the controls", secondary is non flying duties, and other is when you are on the crew but not in a control seat. Normally when we go out augmented with a third pilot, the log pages are split evenly with a third in each category. Our spat evolved when he claimed my log sheet was wrong. ".. how can you be logging PIC while logging "other" time as you aren't even in the seat.." He just didn't get it that I am the PIC regardless of where I physically am, much like a part 121 Captain is with two F/Os along. Just because the 121 Captain is in Business Class napping doesn't mean he relinguishes his Captain duties during his break. The interviewer didn't get it.

Latest resources

Back