• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjcap

Delta Pilots' Union Rejects Wage Talks
Wednesday February 12, 7:31 pm ET
Pilots' Union Quashes Delta Hope for Talks on Contract Changes

ATLANTA (AP) -- The union representing Delta Air Lines pilots has refused a request from the airline to hold discussions about renegotiating wages, saying a more specific proposal was needed.
"We have advised management that a meeting for this purpose is not appropriate at this time. Our pilot working agreement is not amendable until 2005," said William C. Buergey, chairman of Delta's chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association.

Michele Burns, Delta's chief financial officer, told investors Wednesday at a transportation conference in Florida that the airline was sending an official notice to ALPA that it wanted to open discussions.

"We believe that we will have meaningful and productive discussions with the pilots," she said.

Buergey said Delta can't initiate discussions for early contract modifications without submitting a detailed proposal, including justification for the changes. He said the union would consider such a proposal.

Burns acknowledged it's up to the union to negotiate reopening the contract, which was adopted in early 2001, just a few months before the Sept. 11 terror attacks turned an industry downturn into financial catastrophe for the major airlines.

The contract put Delta pilots' pay slightly ahead of pilots at the No. 2 carrier, United. Pilots at United, which is now reorganizing in bankruptcy court, have since agreed to steep cuts.

Although Delta is considered financially stronger than other big carriers, CEO Leo F. Mullin last week said the company cannot sustain a higher wage scale when other carriers are reducing salaries.

US Airways also has negotiated pilot pay cuts, and American and Northwest are seeking them.

Shares of Delta, the nation's third-largest carrier, fell 13 cents Wednesday to close at $9.21 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Does anyone else think it is odd that only the Unionized pilots are being asked for pay cuts (along with Leo and some execs---all who made well over $1 million with stock options), and NO non-union people will be asked for cuts? American is in deep trouble and is asking for $1.8 billion from ALL of it's employees. Why not ask everyone for cuts at Delta?? Hmmmmmmm

Bye Bye---General Lee:confused:

and NO non-union people will be asked for cuts? American is in deep trouble and is asking for $1.8 billion from ALL of it's employees. Why not ask everyone for cuts at Delta?? Hmmmmmmm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all non union people can have their compensation cut without any approval whatsoever. I believe there will be across the board cuts or reductions in workforce within the Delta organization if they haven't taken place already.

What do you think of the DALPA response ??

Would it not have been more advantageous politically to just agree to meet and talk without any committment to reductions in pay ?? Is there a strategy here by DALPA ???

LEO

Correct me if i'm wrong but not long ago Leo told the DALPA that "A CONTRACT IS A CONTRACT". He subverted that and furloghed pilts. I tell him to pack up his toys and go home unless he wants to talk about bringing the furloghees back. If not then screw him.

RJCAP,

DougCorp-9 is right. We lost some common ground when he stated that famous statement shortly after his arrival. But, we still are happy to have someone as smart as he is running this company. I don't think the statement was an outright "No." I think it meant that we won't just openly discuss it unless things are brought to the table. I know that we have to compete with the other Majors when they bring their costs down, but we aren't just going to give in and say, "Hey, all is forgotten..." If they are going to talk, which is a good possibility, there will be comprehensive studies by DALPA and their lawyers, and ofcourse snapbacks. I don't think it was a "slam the door" type of response----just a "We are not going to be taken advantage of ever again" one.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool:

DALPA RESPONSE

if you read the response that dalpa made VERY CAREFULLY...it leaves the door open for a discussion if proper procedures are followed.

it is my understanding that the CFO just made a blanket statement to the rookie journalist during a presentation saying they were going to ask the pilots to open up their contract for renegotiation...hmmm...it doesn't work that way...

the company has to come to dalpa with specific information and specific requests...then dalpa goes back into the cave and analyzes the information...then they come back and say "yes or no...

when delta gets all the info to dalpa in the proper format...then i believe dalpa will start negotiating....it will be interesting to see if delta has to bring back furloughees....where will they put them all? rjs?

I'm not a Delta guy but my feeling is that Management has been able to keep other unions off the property by treating the non-union employees with kid gloves. Could it be that if the non-union employees were subjected to a pay cut, they might feel the need for representation, possibly in the form of a union??(IAM,AFA,Teamsters)???

CL65@350,

It seems like it might be awhile before all of them get back. There has to be a 4 month block of RPM's equal to pre 9-11 levels. We were doing well in Dec and Jan, but Feb and a war in March will delay the first wave coming back. This process might go on for awhile. Also, the arbitrator said that Delta has to train them on a "normal training cycle." What is that? 10 a month? 100 a month? Who knows? Atleast he stopped it and hopefully they will continue to stop it---and eventually bring them back. They might bring them back at the same rate as retirements--or 300 or 400 a year. I don't know.

Bye Bye---General Lee:confused:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back