• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hotwing

Associated Press
Delta Pilots Balk at Pay Cut Request
Wednesday May 14, 9:37 am ET
By Harry R. Weber, AP Business Writer
Delta Airline Pilots Union Balks at Company's 22 Percent Pay Cut Request

ATLANTA (AP) -- The Delta Air Lines pilots union is balking at a 22 percent wage-reduction proposal that is part of a companywide cost-cutting campaign.
In a memo distributed to pilots Tuesday night, the union's economic and financial analysis committee said the nation's third-largest airline needs to cut costs to survive but noted employees have already made sacrifices.

"Labor did not create this problem, and the E&FA team does not endorse management's specific proposal," the memo said. "The team has concluded, however, that all stakeholders, including labor, need to be part of the solution."

The union's financial team linked Delta's problems to a drop in revenue and new debts -- not to what it pays its pilots. The union leaders stopped short of calling for the proposal to be rejected, but said their data should be considered when members make a decision.

"Labor costs as a percentage of total expenses have been fairly flat," the memo said. "Expenses have not changed very much. Although it appears there has been a recent spike in labor expenses relative to total revenue, the main cause of the relative percentage increase in labor expenses is the reduction in revenue, not the increase in expenses."

The union said it is still gathering input from pilots before deciding on a course of action.

Last month, Delta told pilots it wants to cut their hourly wages by 22 percent, cancel pay raises due over the next year and reduce some benefits.

In addition to the pay cut for pilots, Delta wants to reduce the company contribution to a family savings plan for pilots from 3 percent to 2 percent. It also is proposing comprehensive negotiations focusing on work rules, benefits and further discussion on pay rates in the fall of 2004 or sooner, depending on the financial condition of the company.

Chief executive Leo Mullin has said Delta will use deep salary concessions agreed to at American Airlines as context for its talks with its own pilots.

Delta lost $466 million in the first quarter on top of $1.3 billion it lost last year.

Atlanta-based Delta has laid off 16,000 employees since the Sept. 11 attacks. It has also furloughed more than 1,000 pilots and said earlier this month it would furlough an additional 200 pilots this year because of a drop-off in travel due to the war in Iraq. It also plans to reduce capacity by 10 percent and will remove 12 MD-11 aircraft from service.

The pilots' union represents 9,000 Delta pilots.

That article sounds a lot worse than it is. I am not the spokesman for Dalpa, but I think I can say that there will probably be some sort of cuts at Delta, but not the amount that they wish or want. Notice that they have not asked any other employee group (all non-union) for any sort of pay cut. That seems a bit odd, doesn't it? When AA was asking for money, it was from everyone. The pilots at Delta shouldn't be the only ones to give, especially since we actually fought for our contract.
They could easily GIVE pay cuts with no opposition from the other groups, but they haven't. They just don't want them to think about starting unions at the other groups.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

General Lee:

This industry is a real mess. I sit here and scratch my head and wonder if I am getting into something that I should not be getting into. I love to fly and have been working towards this goal for a while. It is amazing to see all of this stuff happening today.

Well, all we can hope for is a quick end to the recession and a better enviroment.

Take care buddy -- hopefully I will see you one day.

Last edited:
Hotwing,

You will.

I agree. It is not that we don't want to help, it is just that we don't want to be the only ones to sacrifice, especially since we are the only ones with a contract. I know the others probably don't make the same amount of money, but the others might not have invested as much into this career. I think we will give some pay back (I am not a Dalpa spokesman), but not the 32% that they want. I think they figured that if they got that much from us, they wouldn't have to ask anyone else for anything. The senior management (besides Leo and Fred) are giving up 8%. That sounds like a fair number, from everybody.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Re: paycuts

ASADFW7 said:
Delta is definately making a mistake asking for paycuts from pilots only.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they have to ask non union workers for pay cuts.

The new wages/work rules will just be imposed.

Last edited:
N2246J,

You are right, Delta doesn't have to ask them, but they have stated that they will not. We have the only contract, and they will not ask the people who do not? They do not want them to start unions, so they back off and try to only ask us. We will probably give up something, but not even close to what they want. The large amount they want from us would result in them not having to ask anyone else. Even Leo has stated that we do not have to talk to them until 2005. He also stated that we are in no immediate danger of going Chap 11. There is a large debt payment we must make in 2005---$1 billion--- and I think that we will give up something to help with that, but not the whole thing. Remember that we are spending $1billion this yeaar alone on RJ's---that we at mainline so far cannot fly---and we are also spending atleast another $1billion on Airport projects at BOS and JFK. If they were so worried I think they would stop those immediately and use what is left for the debt. They just want labor prices down.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool:

and what should management do

and what should management do to solve its problems?

I hope the Delta pilot group stands up to management, for all our sakes. Airways showed a complete lack of Balls, can I say Balls on this forum(?), and lost everything and are still furloughed back to WWII. All you Delta pilots just remember that Leo took in $100K for every $100 million he and hie JENIOUSES lost last year. So, make them tighten up their blts for a change. Our time to act at Airways is sadly over, but maybe you guys can put up a good fight.

Latest resources

Back