• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had the MEC chairman on the jumpseat this past week. He says we are 1000 pilots heavy right now but a little short for next summer. Interesting. I read out of that, and other things that were discussed, that we were ok until next fall but the economy would dictate what will be done after that. My feel is that we were good but hiring wasn't discussed at all.

I'm still holding off on buying the new truck.

I agreed with that until this most recent chatter started. Some still say no way next year, and they may opt not to. That makes sense for a ton of reasons I will not get to on a public forum, but there appears to be a few things going on.
Looking forward we are going to have a need for lots of bodies, it does make sense to start the process early. Also there may be added flying thrown in to next summers sked that will necessitate a need for off the street hiring if not enough pilots decided to come off of furlough bypass.

On the last note, I think we will see at least 100 take that when it is offered, FWIW.

why not just apply to Compass if you failed your Delta interview?

Good point. Also DAL won't be actually hiring very many civilians when classes start up someday. 29 pilots in class, up to the limits, will fill the classes for DAL from Compass and Mesaba. They walk over and get their wings, no questions asked. I'm preety sure its 20 from Compass and 9 from Mesaba for each class. So if DAL keeps up with approx. 50/50 military/civilian, then almost no civilian pilots from any other regional will be hired until the Compass/Mesaba limits are met for the year. Granted that is, I think, 25% of the list per year at Compass and no more than 100/10% from Mesaba? I believe those are the per year limits. So the days of Skywest and ASA filling up the majority of the civilian side are over. Which is OK I guess since on here most of them don't want to come over to this place. Now they won't have to worry about it.:rolleyes:

Does not make any sense why someone can't interview again and have another chance regardless of what part of the interview they didnt score well on. You can run for President lose the election bid and still re-run four years later ??

I agreed with that until this most recent chatter started. Some still say no way next year, and they may opt not to. That makes sense for a ton of reasons I will not get to on a public forum, but there appears to be a few things going on.
Looking forward we are going to have a need for lots of bodies, it does make sense to start the process early. Also there may be added flying thrown in to next summers sked that will necessitate a need for off the street hiring if not enough pilots decided to come off of furlough bypass.

On the last note, I think we will see at least 100 take that when it is offered, FWIW.

I agree, it 'feels' like there are some positive things in the works. I am cautiously optimistic.

Good point. Also DAL won't be actually hiring very many civilians when classes start up someday. 29 pilots in class, up to the limits, will fill the classes for DAL from Compass and Mesaba. They walk over and get their wings, no questions asked. I'm preety sure its 20 from Compass and 9 from Mesaba for each class. So if DAL keeps up with approx. 50/50 military/civilian, then almost no civilian pilots from any other regional will be hired until the Compass/Mesaba limits are met for the year. Granted that is, I think, 25% of the list per year at Compass and no more than 100/10% from Mesaba? I believe those are the per year limits. So the days of Skywest and ASA filling up the majority of the civilian side are over. Which is OK I guess since on here most of them don't want to come over to this place. Now they won't have to worry about it.:rolleyes:

There are ways around that.

Also go read LOA 2006-10 and 12. There are max numbers that can flow from each. Something like 83 from CPS and nine a month from Mesaba. Just have big classes........(it is not like it costs anything to have you come in for indoc and then go home for three months prior to jet training.)

For your sake I hope not. I am not the lawyers that make the call. If and when we hire again, there will will be a lot of legal questions answered.

It seems since the Compass and Mesaba pilots can walk over with no questions asked, that their is a conflict of interest regarding the pschye evals.

Had the MEC chairman on the jumpseat this past week. He says we are 1000 pilots heavy right now but a little short for next summer. Interesting. I read out of that, and other things that were discussed, that we were ok until next fall but the economy would dictate what will be done after that. My feel is that we were good but hiring wasn't discussed at all.

I'm still holding off on buying the new truck.

the thing that isnt discussed is that most airlines are overstaffed in the fall and winter. Its a fluctuation in staffing, so while we're over right now, thats not that big of a deal. If the airline is overstaffed in the summer than that says alot more than if its over in the winter. When we hear we're short in the summer than thats a good thing.

I thought you couldn't re-apply if you failed the psych portion of the interview process also. I have a buddy who didn't get the job after the psych panel and was told he couldn't re-apply. It is what it is, but I still don't understand how one can have a great employment record, pass the panel interview, pass all the crazy aptitutde tests, then lose the job offer because a psych says his personality doesn't match the MMPI results.

the thing that isnt discussed is that most airlines are overstaffed in the fall and winter. Its a fluctuation in staffing, so while we're over right now, thats not that big of a deal. If the airline is overstaffed in the summer than that says alot more than if its over in the winter. When we hear we're short in the summer than thats a good thing.

Exactly right and a good point!

It seems since the Compass and Mesaba pilots can walk over with no questions asked, that their is a conflict of interest regarding the pschye evals.

There is no conflict with what they have in place. Legally it is a preexisting agreement with NWA that came in whole, completely unaltered in the merger. That in a nut shell is why it came over unaltered. (No legal grounds for what you are hinting at)

What happens in the future is out of my hands, and out of your hands. It is up to the attorneys that run the show. I can tell you that, their decisions will be made to limit the exposure to DAL.

Go read the LOA 2006-10 and 12. They are in their original form and have stipulations for each pilot that flows. Call me if you want more details.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back