Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta interested in buying an oil refinery?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you! I was tempted to post that in response to JimNTexas' original question. The biggest difference from a refinining standpoint is that Jet A has a slightly shorter carbon chain than diesel.
I don't know all of the additives that are put in each after refining but diesel isn't going to need the same amount of FSII as Jet A. And from reading others' posts, it appears that Jet A doesn't have as many lubricant additives as diesel. This article confirms additional lubricant additives in diesel fuel: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5808896_difference-jet-fuel-diesel-fuel_.html

Both Jet A and diesel can be refined from heavy or light crude.

The problem with heavy crude is that it has a longer carbon chain than light crude so that it requires more refining than light crude.

As to the wisdom of an airline acquiring a refinery, I'll defer to those in the oil industry. http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2012/04/06/is-refinery-ownership-key-to-airline-fuel-woes/

Jet fuel has lots of additives.. including things that are added to make it less likely to explode in a crash....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y33N0raKZBo (test footage of fuel additive added)

Jet fuel has lots of additives.. including things that are added to make it less likely to explode in a crash....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y33N0raKZBo (test footage of fuel additive added)

Thanks; I didn't look at all of the additives in each fuel (Jet A vs diesel) because JimNTexas' question centered on the difference in Jet A vs diesel from a refinining standpoint. The basics of refining can be found here: http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/oil-refining.htm

The problem with the Trainer Facility(former Sunoco, now Conoco-Phillips) is that its a Brent plant and not a WTI plant.

Brent is about $20/bbl higher in price than WTI. Brent crude contains loads of sulfur which makes the refining process even more expensive, and that's on top of the $20/bbl difference.

This plant can be converted at considerable cost, but whomever buys it is going to have to steal it to make it worthwhile. And its a long shot that the new owner, if there is a change in ownership, can make any money with it.

*This analysis comes from a former Fortune 100 Oil company CEO, and the current CEO/Owner of the largest privately held LPG import business in the US(I'd say he has a pretty good handle on this).

Advice to DAL: Be careful what you wish for.

Just be wary if DAL buys McDonald's to refine the frier grease.

As was said, the whole "my airline can beat up your airline" crap is juvenile and pretty much makes pilots on here appear to be over grown kids who would struggle in the real world.
Pretty sad and pathetic isn't it. Funny part is, that one of the mods is a SWA pilot, so he lets the DAL bashing go on, but censors the SWA bashing.
Pathetic indeed...........................

This is why airlines should never make money. Give Delta a couple profitable quarters and they lose their damn minds. Buying 717's, oil refineries, next it will be that condo American had in London. Airlines are so unfamiliar with profits it becomes Brusters millions.

The problem with the Trainer Facility(former Sunoco, now Conoco-Phillips) is that its a Brent plant and not a WTI plant.

Brent is about $20/bbl higher in price than WTI. Brent crude contains loads of sulfur which makes the refining process even more expensive, and that's on top of the $20/bbl difference.

This plant can be converted at considerable cost, but whomever buys it is going to have to steal it to make it worthwhile. And its a long shot that the new owner, if there is a change in ownership, can make any money with it.

*This analysis comes from a former Fortune 100 Oil company CEO, and the current CEO/Owner of the largest privately held LPG import business in the US(I'd say he has a pretty good handle on this)

Advice to DAL: Be careful what you wish for.

DAL uses Brent Crude in their calculations, not WTI. Since it is a Worldwide airline, Brent covers the bases for fuel all over the World. Also, I have a feeling the company has looked into this carefully. If they are interested, there is probably a good reason. The CEO you mentioned maybe enjoys over charging airlines, and could be threatened by other CEO's "thinking outside the box." And, ancillary revenues for the 3rd quarter last year alone totalled $841 million for the airline. So, this probably isn't a move of desperation. If it happens, there is probably a good reason for it.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back