Delta in SLC and DFW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Erlanger

Anyone know anything about Delta's future in SLC and DFW.
Hear rumors of them pulling out of DFW and SLC.

While attending a mandatory class at my ATL based regional, one of our vps mentioned things could get intresting for our DFW base b/c ATL is the fortress hub for DAL. He would not mention any specifics, just played it off as an obvious move for DAL if they needed support for ATL if times get bad for us and DAL.
Oh yeah he was great, terrific, smartest, bestest speaker,just in case he is reading our message board as he revelaed that he was sent some of the negative messages from our ALPA board. The bad thing about the ALPA board is that your name is already posted w/ your message. Call scheduling, you have been extended for the rest of your life.

Erlanger said:
Anyone know anything about Delta's future in SLC and DFW.
Hear rumors of them pulling out of DFW and SLC.
Erlanger,

None of us really know the details of "the plan". GG is so tight lipped about it he won't even reveal the details to the creditors. Personally, I believe DFW may be scaled back and closed as a crew base...but not totally pulling out mainline. SLC? Who knows? Being a west coast guy, I hope not.

From what I understand, in the past, one of our crew planners said that if it were up to him, all crews would be based in ATL...well, now this person is in a position to do that.

Believe me, I'm as anxious as you to learn about what bases are going away.

DL_Infidel,

any idea why GG is not getting info to the creditors committee? Seems to me from some articles I have read they are none to happy with the 'plan'. One said they had asked for some more info and was told no. Doesn't seem to good of an idea to PO the folks with the money. Man I don't want to hear anything about closing SLC!!

My friend(s) at Delta tell me that they will probably make SLC a "Song type base" because more leisure travellers fly out of SLC. They will concentrate more hourly scheduled flights out of their more "business like hubs" of CVG and ATL. This is all subject to change, though.

ATR-DRIVR said:
DL_Infidel,
Doesn't seem to good of an idea to PO the folks with the money. Man I don't want to hear anything about closing SLC!!
They don't have the money. Delta has the money. The creditors are holding the bag.

I suspect the reason for not revealing "the plan" is labor. From everything that I'm hearing the statements that "we will not recognize" Delta's new structure appears to be accurate. For one there may be no line between DCI and Delta's narrowbody domestic operations. However, there will remain separate lists and the spoils are going to the pilots represented at the negotiating table.

Both Bob Arnold and Skip Barnette are making similar statements about "there are going to be 1,700 extra Delta pilots, they have to go somewhere," with Mr. Barnette adding that "it is up to ALPA who flies the airplanes."

Revealing the "plan" might result in a revolt. Better to make it a bloodless revolution and give labor less of an opportunity to react. All I can say is bid what you want, you might be there until you quit.

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
it's all labors fault!

~~~^~~~ said:
I suspect the reason for not revealing "the plan" is labor.
Fins:
Not directing this at you, but I am so sick of seeing that it's all Labors fault!
Why is it that we pay Harvard grads like Leo "the theif" Mullin $$millions to run this company, when they run it into the ground, there is no accountability, even better, they get rewarded for driving the company to the brink of bankruptcy!
If you or I were to taxi an a/c into the mud, it would probabbly result in some sort of disciplanary action, say 30 days off or something like that.
Wolf and Gangreen ran U into bankruptcy, and left with over $30 Million! Where is their accountability for putting thousands out of work??
sorry for the rant, but its not always labor's fault!

Fins,

There are 1500 pilots supposedly over 50 years old, and they may all leave if it gets close to Chap 11. That would leave the other 200 to fly Captain on any new 70 seat jets. Also, do you think they would just park all of the mainline mid-sized aircraft at once? My buddy at Delta said Delta's chief of pilot standards (last name Beck) said they weren't going to start getting rid of the 737-200s until their leases start to expire in 2005, and then finishing in 2008. Do you really think 1700 pilots would be furloughed at once? No way. And, you're probably right, any that were furloughed would go into those new 70 seaters or maybe new 100 seaters.

Last edited:
Someone tell me this, WHERE would they get the money to BUY said 100 seat airplanes? Is EMB going to foot the bill? Airbus? If big D is already 20B in debt, it would be interesting to see if they would go for financing new planes.

ATR-DRIVR said:
Someone tell me this, WHERE would they get the money to BUY said 100 seat airplanes? Is EMB going to foot the bill? Airbus? If big D is already 20B in debt, it would be interesting to see if they would go for financing new planes.
Where did USAirways get money for the $4.5 billion worth of RJs while in Chapter 11? It's called financing - not cash down. Perhaps it would require a higher interest rate, but I am sure they would factor in the additional growth to pay down the financing... Maybe you should ask Mike Palumbo - DAL's new CFO - who arranged financing for TWA's 50 717s a few years back while TWA was encountering financial turbulence...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back