• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DELTA fact or fiction.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really, so when they buy their fuel in JFK they only pay the fuelers there 30 cents a gallon? Do they pay the equivalent of 30 cents a gallon at Heathrow also?

OK time for a quick currency lesson.

Oil is traded throughout the world in US dollars. -- When the Dollar tanks..... The price (in dollars) of a barrel of oil rises. This price does not affect you, if, your currency that hold is not also tanking I.E. the Euro.

Not to mention that most, if not all, US airlines cannot hold a candle to any of the established flag European flag airlines that fly to the USA in terms of customer service and passenger comfort/ameneties.

If Delta is going to compete they need at the very least a massive cabin upgrade with lie flat seats in business class and new ergonomically engineered seats with seatback TVs and adjustable head/foot rests etc in coach (not just reupholstered seats from 1985).

Then they need to get rid of all the 50 year old Large Marge's clogging up the aisles!

I don't, think hiring will slow much w/ the age 65 rule. As said, only 60 people will retire in '08. So maybe they'll hire the 60 less..

True, but compares to pilots in many other countries, we are far more expensive. Pilots in Russia are dirt poor and many of them work second jobs to get by. Some countries south of our borders pay their pilots well, but others pay them much worse than us. It's a mixed bag. If true open skies were to become a reality, it would certainly be something to worry about.

Take Note:

You wanna talk about whipsaw? Just around the corner there will be global whipsaw that makes what we have in the US look like a day at the spa.

You think Age 60/65 is the biggest deal? Open Skies, foreign control and globalization of the airline industry are about to turn arrogant stupid American pilots into Air Line Careerless idiots.

Sorry for the 2x4 guys, but the tsunami is on the way. It is time to get informed, educated and proactive on this..... or Perdo and Xiang will be flying our jets.....

www.ifalpa.org

Oil is traded throughout the world in US dollars. -- When the Dollar tanks..... The price (in dollars) of a barrel of oil rises. This price does not affect you, if, your currency that hold is not also tanking I.E. the Euro.

O.K., so how many Euros does it take to buy a gallon of fuel if fuel is over $2/gallon. Is it .30 Euros? I thought not. Are your passengers paying in Euros or Dollars when they buy a ticket in the US? So what revenue do you have to pay for that fuel? :rolleyes:

That being said, there is open skies legislation on the horizon and pilots can choose their current approach of indifference and apathy followed by shock and anger when they finally realize what's happened, or they can participate in their career, support ALPA-PAC and write their legislators to make sure that any open skies agreement does not harm their careers.

My hunch is that the whiners and criers here will do what they've always done, which is nothing but whine and cry.

Last edited:
O.K., so how many Euros does it take to buy a gallon of fuel if fuel is over $2/gallon. Is it .30 Euros? I thought not. Are your passengers paying in Euros or Dollars when they buy a ticket in the US? So what revenue do you have to pay for that fuel? :rolleyes:

That being said, there is open skies legislation on the horizon and pilots can choose their current approach of indifference and apathy followed by shock and anger when they finally realize what's happened, or they can participate in their career, support ALPA-PAC and write their legislators to make sure that any open skies agreement does not harm their careers.

My hunch is that the whiners and criers here will do what they've always done, which is nothing but whine and cry.

The POINT is NET FUEL COST.... at the end of the day [or should I say year] there are some foreign airlines that realize SUBSTANTIAL fuel savings while inceasing their international/domestic AMERICAN route structure. I hate to say it but OPEN SKIES will harm american airline careers.

The POINT is NET FUEL COST.... at the end of the day [or should I say year] there are some foreign airlines that realize SUBSTANTIAL fuel savings while inceasing their international/domestic AMERICAN route structure. I hate to say it but OPEN SKIES will harm american airline careers.

...Don't worry though, after mergers/furloughs you can apply overseas and fly lax-atl for a foreign carrier while being based overseas.

...Don't worry though, after mergers/furloughs you can apply overseas and fly lax-atl for a foreign carrier while being based overseas.

why mergers? why foreign? this is the next logical step for Skybus pilots. Virgin America pilots are already there (lax-jfk, anyway).

Revenue is revenue. That revenue is used to pay fuel costs. Whether the airlines are competing for a Brit paying in pounds in England, a Frenchman paying in euros in France, or a New Yorker paying in dollars in the US, at the end of the day the airlines are competing for the revenue each passenger pays. If an airline from Europe comes to the States for its revenue, that revenue will be paid in dollars.

I agree that open skies could harm american airline careers, depending on how it's written, but not for the reasons you state.

Latest resources

Back