Deactivating Equipment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared,

You're correct on the adapter. However, if the torque putty is cracked or broken or missing, the adapter needs to be retorqued. Also, I've found a great many of these shifting when attempting to spin off the filter, and in such a case, the adapter needs to be retorqued. Further, one needs to look at the previous entry and verify it visually, but many times one is best not taking someone else at their word that the work has been done correctly.

Retorquing is often still the best bet.

The reason for this AD is past engine failures and fatalities resulting from oil loss and oil pressure loss (and two fatal fires, if I'm not mistaken) from the oil filter adapter assembly. I've seen more than a few loose that were supposedly torqued or checked, and even safetied.

My point in dredging that up was to point out that what appears to be a simple task allowed by Appendix A as preventative maintenance often has more than meets the eye, and folks doling out advice on the subject need to be very careful. A lot of both legal, and physical hazards exist where deactivating or any type of maintenance is concerned, and it's often more than folks bargain for. Best find that out now than attempt to do so during enforcement action...or worse.

avbug said:
My point in dredging that up was to point out that what appears to be a simple task allowed by Appendix A as preventative maintenance often has more than meets the eye, and folks doling out advice on the subject need to be very careful. A lot of both legal, and physical hazards exist where deactivating or any type of maintenance is concerned, and it's often more than folks bargain for. Best find that out now than attempt to do so during enforcement action...or worse.

Your point is well taken, but at the same time, you don't want to leave the impression that an informed, concientious owner pilot can't do a number of basic maintenence tasks.

avbug said:
Further, one needs to look at the previous entry and verify it visually, but many times one is best not taking someone else at their word that the work has been done correctly.

Agreed, another good point. I've personally researched and confirmed the compliance with all applicable AD's on my own aircraft, while my IA would be content to rely on previous inspectors' signoffs for many of the non-repetetive ones. It's worth the extra effort to me to know for sure that everything has been complied with.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back