DCA Bites!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I gotta say, I love DCA!!

Fun place to fly. Nice airport, good resturants, fun approaches. DCA is one of my favorite destinations. 22 is a lot of fun in the ERJ, and what a view coming down the river. Its all good.

i love DCA as well, one of the few places that actually make the job interesting. second on my list would be LGA, where i think they have the minimum separation thing down better than anybody...

getting tired of the code word though, i think that requirement is a joke.

Last edited:
Ditto on the code word. They should put the words together so that over a several day trip with legs in and out of DCA they form a sentance.

I have to say I get more wood there than any other airport. OK, maybe SXM or DOM. Anyone here ever been to DOM? You will never forget that approach.

No, I love to fly--it's the trip that sucks.

The nap has us getting in at about midnight (12:40 last night), then to the hotel by 12:30--0100. We have to be in the van by 05:05, so it wears on you after doing it a few days in a row.

We were WAY late last night, and the night before, so sleep was minimal. We were both so tired we made a few pretty stupid mistakes...I guess that's what really sucks.

The ground crew is excellent, I wish we had that motivation on the ATL ramp.

As for 328 dude...kiss my as.s.....

Noise Abatement

I also enjoy DCA. I do not have the noise abatement notes in front of my but I do not remember reading anything about MGTOW. Is there really an exemption for RJ's as someone previously posted? I actually landed on 15 one day, you go right over the top of the pentagon less than 300 AGL, very interesting perspective.

>>Question, does anybody actually reduce the power for max climb thrust on a hot day to maintain 500 fpm climb until 10DME, like the noise abatement procedure for RWY 1 says? I have only seen one guy do it I always ask the captains if it is ok if I do that, but I can tell they don't want to do it so I don't. Anybody or everybody do that?<<

I was told by the C.P. on our first trip up there a while back that the CRJ meets and exceeds all noise abatement procedures there, so we do not have to follow them.

Oh, and I too love going in there. This may sound corny, but we went in there for the first time 6-7 months ago and after Sept 11th, and the war, seeing all the political buildings lit up in bright white gave me goose bumps. (as in proud to be an american)

wow.
great to see a thread without any bitching about pay, schedule, work rules ... not like people with jobs shouldn't be complaining about that stuff.

but an entire thread by airline pilots about the joys of approaches and landing!! a banner day!

it's kind of uplifting.

thanks guys. now i shall wipe a tear from my eye ;)

Palerider all I want to know is what DCA airport you are flying out of? We have been flying in and out of DCA for years and even today we flew right over the top of the pentagon and guess what no rockets fired, we are ok...... Also as for P56 avoidance if you can not make that turn in time go back to a skyhawk buddy.

Latest resources

Back