Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
Does anybody know if the Dash 400 still has ground spoilers? As far as I understand, they have been deactivated on just about all the 100's out there, at least they have been on ALG's. Not the "lift dump" mode of the flight spoilers that we all see (the outboards of which are now painted red) on the runway, but there are additional spoilers that operate on a different WOW logic, and those have all been deactivated at my company for as long as I've been there. I'm just curious (kind of a nerd like that), any Horizon folks care to fill me in? What about the 200 and 300's at PDT?

Ground Spoilers!?

All US fleets have the GS'ers deactivated, it became a maintenance issue. It just cost extra to keep them up. I have a suspicion that the theory was that the dash's don't really need them, I mean, how short do you want to land? Do you want to turn off after a ground roll of 800 feet, or 600 feet, although, I've done it in 500.

:D

DCA in the Dash 7 was always a blast, as I remember it. Over the penta-gram, scare the cars on the highway, and then shine your lights dead in the face of some mainline squirrel at the first turnoff as he was waiting to cross. It can still be done in an -8 as well, without the spoilers but you have to be light....and good.

:D

Yeah-per, those were the days, until US-less manglement took the premier regional airline of the day and......

ah well, if I keep on that way I'll just start drinkin' again.

-FF

:( :eek:

The 400's do use ground spoilers and they work just as they did in the 100. All of Horizons old 100's had ground spoilers...they are not an option in the 200....don't know about the 300 but I have never noticed them on Jazz's Dahs's.

dkwid said:
The 400's do use ground spoilers and they work just as they did in the 100. All of Horizons old 100's had ground spoilers...they are not an option in the 200....don't know about the 300 but I have never noticed them on Jazz's Dahs's.

Actually those are roll spoilers functioning in the ground mode in the 100, I don't know about the 400. Horizon's ground spoilers were deactivated in the 100. The indicator lights next to the flight/taxi switch showed inboard, outboard, and a line through the light that used to say ground. They were deactivated for reasons mentioned above.

Actually, both in the 400 and th 100 the roll spoilers are designed to operate as ground spoilers. The flight taxi switch installed in both the 400 and the 100 is used to change the modes of the spoilers.

Horizon's 100's did use this ground spoiler system, this system is not used on any 200's.

If there is another completely seperate spoiler system option, I am not aware of it.

I think I just remembered where the "ground spoiler" would be. Is there an option for a 5th spoiler in the center of the wing (doesn't seem like the best place for it) but I can't imagine where else it would be. the inboard and outboard roll/ground spoilers take up a good chunk of the wing.

Can anyone help me out here?

Yes, the ground spoilers are a third panel on the wing that again, were deactivated on Horizon's fleet.

You are confusing roll spoilers in the ground mode (the roll spoilers pop up with weight on wheels and the flight/taxi switch in "flight") with ground spoilers that also pop on landing, but are separate panels from the inboard/outboard roll spoilers.

When I first flew the DHC-8 at ALG the ground spoilers still operated. They were two panels (I think) that came up as soon as the mains touched. The roll spoilers then deployed as the nose wheel touched down.

It was indeed a maintenance issue with the spoilers. A lot of hydraulic leaks as I remember.

They said it did not affect performance, but you could indeed tell when they deployed. But like was said. Do you really need to clear sooner than 600 feet down the runway?

Awesome airplane. My best experience in it was an empty leg with a bet from the f/o. He did not think I could hit the 1,000 foot marker. We entered a 12,000 ft MSL downwind at BGM. Emergency descent, in a 3 mile pattern and touched down at the displaced thresh hold for 16. Cleared at taxi way C. 700 feet. Not pilot skill mind you, just an awesome airplane.;)

colorado418...

who are you?

Chuck "freaking" Yeager!!

geek....

Who you calling Geek? Geek II

If you will read my post... You will see that I did not say it was pilot skill, but an incredible aircraft to fly...

Been in a ditch in a 727 lately???

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back