• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CTAF Calls; please help!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in the 90's I am doing training in the DHC-6 for Drummond Island Air. A scheduled 135 airline. We are using the old B-52 base in the Michigan UP, it is day VFR to the moon. I am on downwind, I announce "Twin Otter 30BV left downwind RW 33 XXX for touch and go" I then hear, "This is Great Lakes flt 1234 five miles out on the ILS 33", I response "Roger we are turning base and will be well clear of the runway by the time you get here" I then hear his response. "This is GL1234, I am a 121 scheduled air carrier on an IFR flight plan, I have priority to that runway, you are required to go around and give me priority" I called back and said "This is 30BV, left base RW 33 XXX, this will be a stop and go" He had to go around. He said he was going to call the FAA, I gave him our POI's phone number, I never heard anything. I wondered if he ever called.

I see this in my Part 91 flying at uncontrolled fields, IFR turbine airplanes don't think the VFR rules apply to them. Right base, straight in, what ever works to get them on the ground in a hurry.

Yup, lower has the right of way. He has to accommodate you and it suxs for him, let that retart call whoever he wishes!!

And if you say, "Any traffic in the area, please advise," you aren't helping. You're making it worse.

I see this in my Part 91 flying at uncontrolled fields, IFR turbine airplanes don't think the VFR rules apply to them. Right base, straight in, what ever works to get them on the ground in a hurry.

Agreed - and I fly an IFR turbine airplane. My F/O's look at me funny when I say, "if there is any traffic at the airport, we will fly a midfield crosswind to join the left downwind at pattern altitude."

But I would also like to give a big Bravo Zulu to the occasional pilot/instructor who says, "we will be glad to extend our downwind so you can land straight in".

I do this quite often when I'm instructing. I figure the jets burn about 100x's the gas I'm burning so its no big deal. As long as you guys don't expect it and say something like a thanks or something like that, it's an opportunity to teach student manners!!!!

It's also kindda like opening the door for a hot chick, you get to stare at her a$$ as she goes by!!! Lol

Latest resources

Back