• Friendliest aviation community on the web

LAKramer1211

Type aircraft owned
PA28 Cherokee 140, 1946 Ercoupe 415
Base airport
KMAN
Ratings
LSA
Has anyone ever planned a flight from So. Idaho to Madison Wisconsin? There seems to be endless possible routes but few through the mountains. I want to follow the most direct route to Madison but am flexible about returning another route. It is hot here this time of year and density altitude is a thing. I use SkyVector and Flight Aware. I will be in an Ercoupe solo and I don't like legs more than 2-3 hours ( 270 miles) in length. I need potty breaks at my age.
573fls.jpg

Some people like to fly direct routes, some like to fly paths such as long highway corridors to always have a landing option. Up to you. I personally use ForeFlight and recommend it for flight planning, routes, filing, etc. Just plan accordingly based on your aircraft's performance and your comfort. Are you heading to Oshkosh?

I guess I have to assume you know what you are doing in terms of mountain flying in a high density altitude environment and your Ercoupe's performance in those conditions, or I'd probably say, "take a bus." :D

I would definitely be choosing lower terrain with more and better diversion options, even if it meant a longer flight. This time of year, I'd only cross western mountainous terrain in the morning and winds at pass crossing altitudes which can produce lee side downdrafts which will easily exceed your Ercoupe's climb performance.

Latest resources

Back