CRJ200 APA Deferral

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freebrd

Here at ASA deferring APUs is becoming very common. This makes for a very hot cabin with the temperture in the mid 90s in the cabin while taxing out. At the gate we have air carts which help until we begin taxing. Cabin doesn't even begin to cool until take-off roll. No air flow at all while taxing, very uncomfortable for our passengers, who become irate very quickly and cuss DELTA, not ASA, for this problem.

Do other operators (COMAIR,ACA,Skywest,etc) have this same problem? How about you major types? Can you refuse to take the plane w/o jeopardy? Does the company upper management actually realize what's going on at the line level with this problem?

If Comair management had their way, we would never, ever operate the APU.
As for now, their directive is to start it just before push, shut it down after departure and do not restart it unitl ready to push for the next takeoff.
It's pitiful to see these men in business suits sweating their ass off in our heated cylinder.

For Comair this is correct but according to the chief pilots comfort comes first. A chief pilot told us in recurrent to start the darned thing if it gets too hot! They don't want us sweating and to use common sense! They just don't want it running from 10,000 feet down when most of the aircraft produce decent airflow, and to use common sense like closing the pax shades to aid in cooling when the plane is to sit on the ground for a while.

I for one will start it when it gets warm for pax comfort. They pay our bills, keep us employed and the happier we make them the chances of them returning to fly on us increases as does job security.

The CRJ will make sufficient bleed air from the engines at around 40-45% N1 to cool the cabin. If your doing stop and go taxiing your brakes won't heat up and the guy behind you will learn to give you more room. Just be sure to watch your departure fuel as you will be burning double your normal taxi fuel.

Never let 'em see you sweat!

>>As for now, their directive is to start it just before push, shut it down after departure and do not restart it unitl ready to push for the next takeoff<<

Well, that would never work in ATL, I think we only have 1 WORKING air cart on the premesis, let alone finding any GPUs that work !

Well, that would never work in ATL, I think we only have 1 WORKING air cart on the premesis, let alone finding any GPUs that work ! [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL...I'll bet you ACA boys and girls can relate to this one...

Latest resources

Back