CRJ ?'s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

I just was flying on a CRJ this last weekend and I have two questions.

Why are the flaps at what looks like 8 deg's during taxi to the gate and while parked and through taxi and takeoff?

Why did the FA ask that the window shades be left open during taxi, takeoff, and landing?

Thnacks.

question 1: flap AD, hopefully to be lifted soon, requires an external inspection of the flap position to make sure it corresponds with the selected position. Thus we keep them in the anticipated takeoff position unless leaving it for the night.

question 2: it's an FAA thing for all airplanes. can't remember the reason, but found out when I was non-reving a couple of years ago on a Brasilia. I thought the FA was messing with me, but she wasn't.

At SkyWest most of our RJs have complied with the Flap AD so no more flap inspections. What about you all at other airlines flying the CRJ?

I was on Skywest yesterday, and they had the flaps down (from MCI - DFW). What percent of the fleet would you say has the AD?

I was under the impression that the EICAS 2000 upgrade took care of the flap indication problems. I'm really not sure though, since our CL-65's don't have flaps 8, only 20, and our first aircraft was delivered with EICAS 2000 already installed.

Hey SkyWestCRJPilot--Thought I'd finish out your list for ya: the C-150/152 is the "Sparrowhawk".

I was under the impression that the EICAS 2000 upgrade took care of the flap indication problems. I'm really not sure though, since our CL-65's don't have flaps 8, only 20, and our first aircraft was delivered with EICAS 2000 already installed.

I think I remember something about this from way back when. I want to say that operators that chose not to have the third flap PDU (power driver unit) installed were required to do the inspections. Then it was found that with the reduced flap 0-20 speed of 215 kts, instead of the aircraft spec'd 235 kts, that the inspections were no longer needed. I'm not 100% positive on this but thats how it was explained to me by one of our mechanics.

CL65Link, What airline do you fly for? I've heard of a few that don't have the flaps 8 option.

VFR ON TOP, Thanks for helping complete my list but I think you're mistaken. I understand the "Sparrowhawk" is actually a C-152/150 with a 125 hp engine conversion, up from the original 100 or 110 hp. So it's called a "Sparrowhawk Conversion". If you do find the real name then let me know. I like real names instead of the shorthand versions. I currently fly the Canadair Regional Jet also known as the CRJ100, CRJ200, CL65, and even as a CL600-2B19. They're not names to me, just numbers.

I fly for Pinnacle. Northwest opted not to have flaps 8 installed on their CRJ's.

Latest resources

Back