Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mach tuck

Hey guys/gals,

if you are sharing a car with your fellow crashpadders, how do you work the insurance out? Do you have each person listed on the insurance, or just have the owner on it? Seems like it could run into a huge liability issue.

I was going to do it with my crashpad but decided not to, was not worth the liability. What if a crashpadder hit someone walking down the street, you could be sued.

Check with your insurer ( Agent ) and ask. Permissive users are typically covered.

Further your liability exposure is not as great as you might think. To sue you the case would have to be brought under a theory of negligent entrustment ( State laws vary ). If the airline entrusts a jet to your driver, it would be hard to prove that you should be more selective in who you have drive your car than the airline is.

~~~^~~~ said:
Check with your insurer ( Agent ) and ask. Permissive users are typically covered.

This is true, as long as the driver has your permission to use the car, they should be covered under your policy. If an accident were to happen, your insurance company would probably write your next policy with that specific person excluded.

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:

Further your liability exposure is not as great as you might think. To sue you the case would have to be brought under a theory of negligent entrustment ( State laws vary ). If the airline entrusts a jet to your driver, it would be hard to prove that you should be more selective in who you have drive your car than the airline is.

Not necessarily. I've been an insurance agent and seen people get canceled for less. At the very least, you might end up holding the bag for damage to your car done by your crashpadder friend who cant' afford to fix it. You could also be liable for damage that he does if he was using your car if it exceeds (a) the limits of your policy on the crashpad car and/or (b) the limits of his own auto policy. This is possible since the likelihood of having a bare bones minimum coverage policy is high in this case.

You might also run into trouble in other areas. You need a local license to get local insurance. If you keep the car on your own policy at home and garage it in another state, the insurance company could cancel you if they find out about it.

No agent is going to knowing cover a car in another state being driven by someone not on the policy.

My recommendation: Let somebody else buy and insure the car and you chip in for insurance.

5 or 6 years ago

~~~^~~~ said:

5 or 6 years ago car insurance premiums seemed very affordable with fantastic coverage to match. Well, if you're an individual or family who pays for insurance today chances are you're literally getting punched in the pocket book, and it hurts, see http://www.insurancepaylite.com see how insurance companies price hehehe. Auto insurance has changed dramatically over the last five years and this article will no doubt arm you with the knowledge you need to get the most out of your next plan. First, an individual or family needs to identify with what they need out of a health plan. Notice I say need, because unless you make more money than you know what to do with there is no way in the world most people can afford the "Perfect" plan with all the bells and whistles

cyber_han said:
5 or 6 years ago car insurance premiums seemed very affordable with fantastic coverage to match. Well, if you're an individual or family who pays for insurance today chances are you're literally getting punched in the pocket book, and it hurts, see http://www.insurancepaylite.com see how insurance companies price hehehe. Auto insurance has changed dramatically over the last five years and this article will no doubt arm you with the knowledge you need to get the most out of your next plan. First, an individual or family needs to identify with what they need out of a health plan. Notice I say need, because unless you make more money than you know what to do with there is no way in the world most people can afford the "Perfect" plan with all the bells and whistles

Great idea. I asked for a quote last night and have received three offers today. I ended up signing up with UnitrinDirect through a company called Inlogic. I was paying $581 to Allstate every six months for two cars ($100/300 liability, no comprehensive) in the state of Michigan. I'm now paying $341!

I highly recommend Inlogic. For a quote call 877-425-5943. Have your current insurance, and driving record handy for a more precise quote. A guy named Mathew Peterson helped me, if you want to speak with him choose option 8, then extention 3117. I don't know if he can help any more than anyone else, but he saved me a lot of money.

Who cares if they have this negligent entrustment law if your insurance only goes up to 250,000.00 and the lawsuit is for 1,000,000.00 bucks?

Besides, If you hit me with that thing, I won't be suing you and the owner in your home state...I'll be suing you in mine. Or where the car was manufactured or wherever I can get the most out of the deal as allowed by law.

The state law for negligent entrustment doesn't effect people that bring their suits in another state where there isn't such a law.

My partner on my split freight run wants to split a car at our out base so that he can cut his costs...I won't touch it with a ten foot pole and it's his car.

~~~^~~~ said:

Thanks for bringing up the "negligent entrustment doctrine" I have never heard of it before. From what I am reading, the negligent entrustment relationship is just between the borrower and lender of anything from a handgun to an automobile or airplane.

You as a lender are not going to be able to say, "hey, the guy worked for an airline so it must have been cool to loan him the car!" Especially if the borrower got hired with 2 dui's and he takes the car and gets drunk and injures someone in an accident.

Head-on collision: Driving while intoxicated: Negligent entrustment: Leg fracture: Facial lacerations: Settlement

Cosse v. Rose, La., Orleans Parish Civ. Dist. Ct., No. 2001-- 3550, Apr. 10, 2002.

Cosse, 42, was traveling on an overpass when a vehicle operated by Rose proceeded up the overpass in the wrong direction, colliding head on with Cosse's vehicle. Cosse suffered multiple injuries, including a leg fracture resulting in a shortening of his right leg, facial lacerations with permanent loss of sensation to the forehead and part of the eyelid, disk herniations, lung contusions, and a closed head injury. His past medical expenses totaled about $150,000, and his future care costs are estimated at about $30,000.

Cosse had been a pressman for a newspaper earning approximately $55,000 annually. He is unable to return to work.

Cosse and his wife sued Rose, alleging that he was driving while intoxicated and was negligent in proceeding up the overpass in the wrong direction.

Plaintiffs also sued Rose's grandmother, who owned the vehicle Rose was driving, alleging that she had negligently entrusted the vehicle to him.

The parties settled for $3 million, paid in a lump sum. Plaintiffs' experts in this case included John Watermeier, orthopedic surgery, New Orleans, La.; Cynthia Mizgala, plastic surgery, and John Theriot, economics, both of Metairie, La.; John Clark, physiatrics, Baton Rouge, La.; and Cornelius Gorman, vocational rehabilitation, Madisonville, La.

Defendants' expert was William Black, neuropsychology, New Orleans, La.
Plaintiffs' Counsel Irvy E. Cosse Jr., New Orleans, La. *Irvy E. Cosse III, New Orleans, La.

An asterisk (*) appearing beside the name of plaintiff's counsel indicates that the attorney is an ATLA member. To obtain additional information about a case report, contact counsel through your ATLA membership directory.

Copyright Association of Trial Lawyers of America Sep 2002
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved

Latest resources

Back