Crab & Kick or Slip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Frmr Avro Drvr said:
Ya got me there! I haven't flown one but I would like to see one land in a crosswind. Are the rudder and ailerons connected by bungies or a solid connection? How well do they handle crosswinds?
You touch down in a crab, the gear is designed to handle the load. There was a time when some taildraggers could be equipped with optional "crosswind gear". This gear castored and allowed to land crabbed as well. Kind of like a poor mans version of the landing gear of a B-52.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
You touch down in a crab, the gear is designed to handle the load. There was a time when some taildraggers could be equipped with optional "crosswind gear". This gear castored and allowed to land crabbed as well. Kind of like a poor mans version of the landing gear of a B-52.

'Sled

That sounds pretty user friendly. Good trainers?

-mini

I've always crabbed until over or just prior to being over the threshold, then slipping it on in. Any thoughts?

Lead Sled said:
Or an Ercoupe.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back