CR7 cruise speed Eagle ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IADBLRJ41

Quick question for Eagle CR7 drivers out there...

I was flying back to ORD last week from MHT and was surprised to hear that Eagle was flying their CRJ-700 at .83 at 33,000. What is the typical cruise speed on that model jet?? On a really good day I have seen .81 or .82 in the 50 seater but that was light weight and cold out.

By the way the Eagle CRJ looks really sleek in the paint!!

Don't know about Eagle, but our profile is .80, and you gotta get the throttles back to hold that speed in cruise.

Dont know about other airlines planes but I was just going from IAD-MCI today at 370 and .81 mach with 46 people at ISA +5° in my 50 seater. Perhaps its all in how you operate it. Or how bent the airframe is. And yes it took quite awhile to get it up there...

.81 - .83 is very common in the CR7, especially at FL330. If you go up to 390 you'll see numbers around .78 if you're heavy, .80-.82 if you're light.

Twotter76 said:
Dont know about other airlines planes but I was just going from IAD-MCI today at 370 and .81 mach with 46 people at ISA +5° in my 50 seater. Perhaps its all in how you operate it. Or how bent the airframe is. And yes it took quite awhile to get it up there...
Were you being towed? That sounds like a quite a stretch for the 'ol -200.

Nope no towing I just had the afterburners on. Amazing the difference those make. In all seriousness it seems that some of our 50 seaters perform quite a bit better than others - havent figured out exactly why this is yet. And it isnt always the new ones either. Many people I fly with arent willing to take her that high because it takes awhile to get there but my experience with the plane has been that once you get her up there she does just fine.

I've been quite amazed by the soggy high-altitude climb performance of the 50 seater. I can count on two hands the number of times I've had it to FL410. It has to be cold and light, obviously. Once I had a ship with 75hrs total time on a cold day with 25-30 pax, and the best it could do was FL390...and that was quite a struggle.

The most fun(?) I've had in the CRJ was a few months ago, westbound at 350 with 48 in the back. The controller asked if we could do 390 to help him out with crossing traffic...we consulted the (always optimistic) flip-card and it showed 370 as do-able. He cleared us to 370, and somehow we staggered up there. Once we leveled off, the airspeed held steady for a bit, then began to decrease, even with climb thrust still set. You could see the nose-up deck angle slowly increasing as the speed bled off even more. I requested 350 again and of course the controller said 'in a few minutes'. Then he gave us a slight turn to cross behind traffic, and you could feel the airframe start to buffet. At a tad under 200kts, the shaker started and kicked off the a/p...I told the FO to start down NOW as I told the controller that we were heading back to 350, and I'd declare an emergency if I had to. He came right back with a clearance to 350, of course. Once we got there, everything was just fine. The airplane liked 350 but didn't like 370 one bit. Hey, that was fun, let's do it again sometime! not

If you put CR7 engines on the CR2, then you'd have a great airplane. :D

I never had that exact same experience, but after talking with the engineers I've learned the aircraft's supercritical wing has an ugly L/D profile when it slows and the engines measure the density of the air in the cowling and reduce the fuel schedule ( also seen in the N1 carat ) as the density is adversely affected at low airspeeds. Those two factors make the aircraft quite a pig if you get it below .7 / 240 KIAS.

The fact that you researched that scares me dude... LOL, I am too busy getting laid to find out those questions.. But then again, I am just a Dash 8 Pig Drive....
icon10.gif

JBcrjca said:
At a tad under 200kts, the shaker started and kicked off the a/p...
Don't you have a limitation for minimum airspeed in cruise or above 10,000'? Sounds like you should fill out a NASA form, or ASAP depending on your airline, and hope nobody in the cabin heard the shaker. Respect the Green Line, it's there for a reason. That was pretty irresponsible.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back